Yellow lab advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pam is here

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 4 yellow labs. Many times they have spawned in the tank at no avail. In the past they would do their shimmy and swim in circles but no fry holding. I done a water change late last night. This morning the 2 largest labs were like going spastic doing the circling thing all over the tank. As soon as an egg dropped my bumble bee was sucking them up before the male was able to do his thing and the female could not suck them up fast enough. I'm going to move the male and female into a tank to let the process happen without interruption. The question is what is the least tank size I can use? I will let them spawn again and remove the male.

Currently I have a 125g tank, (2) 55g's, 40g, 20g, 15g, 10g all running with fish in them. My house is full of tanks and fish. I also have a few 5g's empty. The 125g, (2) 55g and 40g is not a option. So what is needed for 2 spawning labs? 20, 15, 10 or a 5? Other than a 5 g I will have to do some fish moving?
Thanks

Pam is here said:
I have 4 yellow labs. Many times they have spawned in the tank at no avail. In the past they would do their shimmy and swim in circles but no fry holding. I done a water change late last night. This morning the 2 largest labs were like going spastic doing the circling thing all over the tank. As soon as an egg dropped my bumble bee was sucking them up before the male was able to do his thing and the female could not suck them up fast enough. I'm going to move the male and female into a tank to let the process happen without interruption. The question is what is the least tank size I can use? I will let them spawn again and remove the male.

Currently I have a 125g tank, (2) 55g's, 40g, 20g, 15g, 10g all running with fish in them. My house is full of tanks and fish. I also have a few 5g's empty. The 125g, (2) 55g and 40g is not a option. So what is needed for 2 spawning labs? 20, 15, 10 or a 5? Other than a 5 g I will have to do some fish moving?
Thanks

Hi , I have personally just had my yellows breeding , I would put them both in at least a 15 gallon tank which are what my fry are in now , I Removed the mother after she released the fry and hopefully nurturing them on to sell them to a good home , so I'd safely say a couple of 15 g, it will be like a factory lol

You should wait to pull her out till they've been fertilized imo Even in a 20g the female may take on to much abuse from the male. The female and the fry will be ok together for a little while ( till she spits) I would think.

Well at this point I'm not sure if she even got a chance to suck them up. The bumble bee was sucking them up faster than they were circling. The labs was spinning very quickly almost like they were frantic. The last time they spawn they were very graceful. That's why I was thinking about moving both out so they could do their thing peaceful and hopefully successful.

Back
Top Bottom