Yellow lab almost killed, now worried it will die.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirrilah fish

Aquarium Advice Addict
While doing a late night water change, my electric yellow remained in a decoration that I took out if the tank for 45 min. When I went to put it back in it felt weird, so I shook it, farely hard, and an electric yellow lab came out, I quickly threw him in the water, even though it was logical he was dead, but he bounced back, I ran him pinched between my fingers back and forth to revive him, and he did. However, now he lays on the bottom, and is struggling to stay up, he is slowly reaching higher and higher (2-3" off the bottom) but it seems exhausting, and he eventually returns to the bottom. I'm hoping that it is just him being messed up from being out of the tank so long, but my fear is that the shaking screwed up his innards.
If anyone has any experience, or knowledge help me out.
Since he is breathing, and swimming will he recover? Or should I just euthinize him now?

Clarifications: he is swmming normally, and well, away from other tank mates, he does not have difficulty swimming up, only staying up.
My theories are either he survived in a very very shallow pool of residual water in the ornament which made him completely drain his swim blatter, and it will take time to normalize, (I have no experience with this, just a guess. Or my shaking ruptered his swim bladder, and he is perminateky broken. The way he is acting now does not seem that he has any internal injuries, but I really don't know enough to say. Maybe, maybe not. Is there anything I can do? Salt bath? Manual ups and downs in the tank?

Maybe its just a bit dazed from the whole ordeal, or maybe you have a zombie fish in the making!!!
RUN ! HIDE!
HE CAN SEE YOU, AND HE IS COMING

Lucky the yellow lab

Well I am happy to say that this morning he is doing fine!!! swimming, playing with the other yellow labs, eating, he seems perfectly fine. I can see the corners of his mouth are a little banged up, but from how he was acting last night, to now, I think its safe to say he will be just fine, and he is one lucky little fish! He was out of the tank inside a little crevice of an ornament for close to an hour, basically the time it took to clean 2 filters, dismantle clean and reassemble the UV filter, and change 20 gallons of water, only to be vigorously shooken out onto the floor. I cannot believe he survived.
Usually I do a fish count after I take out that ornament, I wont forget to do that again.

And I finally thought of a name for him: LUCKY! Lucky the Yellow lab

Attachments

• Lucky.jpg
    Lucky.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 116
Well I am happy to say that this morning he is doing fine!!! swimming, playing with the other yellow labs, eating, he seems perfectly fine. I can see the corners of his mouth are a little banged up, but from how he was acting last night, to now, I think its safe to say he will be just fine, and he is one lucky little fish! He was out of the tank inside a little crevice of an ornament for close to an hour, basically the time it took to clean 2 filters, dismantle clean and reassemble the UV filter, and change 20 gallons of water, only to be vigorously shooken out onto the floor. I cannot believe he survived.
Usually I do a fish count after I take out that ornament, I wont forget to do that again.

And I finally thought of a name for him: LUCKY! Lucky the Yellow lab

Lol I'm not sure if you knew or not but that's totally a female

Lol I'm not sure if you knew or not but that's totally a female

There is no way of you knowing if that is a female or not just by looking at it. If your going by there is no black on the fins that is not a good way to tell, i have males that are all yellow with no black. The only certain way to tell male or female with yellow labs is venting.

you will keep him/her the longest. I killed a whole tank due to an unfortunate accident (my fault) and my angelfish almost died. I expected him to be dead the next morning but he survived, and I still have him today. He's the oldest fish I have and is a big bully lol

There is no way of you knowing if that is a female or not just by looking at it. If your going by there is no black on the fins that is not a good way to tell, i have males that are all yellow with no black. The only certain way to tell male or female with yellow labs is venting.

I was referring that it had no dot on its lower back fin it imitates a egg so the female can fertilize her eggs

Ya she's a female, I have a make too, I like her cause she's doesn't have black on the fins. The male has the long black stripe and egg spot though.

Well the one with the black stripe chases, and shakes at lucky, that's a give away isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom