Yellow Labs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Peaceful for the most part unless they are breeding and you have multiple males then they can be somewhat aggressive towards each other. It really comes down to the individual fish.

You may notice some increased aggression if keeping multiple male yellow labs or if kept with males of other labidochromis species.

(two young male labs going at it):

I have several males within my group and none is the clear alpha male (or at least respected as such by the others). They're all pretty much near-equal rivals, and as such they (and my single male yellow top mbamba) tend to spar more frequently then my other mbuna species (with my various metriaclima and pseudotropheus species the dominants are clearly acknowledged and never challenged, thus no sparring).

Yellow labs are somewhat peaceful toward other species, though being mbuna, spats will occur from time to time.

Mine are very peaceful. I have yet to see them pick on a tankmate. They are pretty much left alone by the other cichlids too.

I have a few of them and the only time they are aggressive is at breeding time. Then they are fairly aggressive.

Are they peacful enough to put ONE male in with a checker board cichlid and a discus?

May be touch and go with the discus. Discus prefer different conditions than other cichlids. For one they like much warmer temps. Plus they do not like fast moving fish. They also like to be in groups. I wouldn't try it but if your discus is on it's own, you can try it but be prepared to remove the lab.

They're peaceful by mbuna standards, not by community requirements. I would NOT attempt keeping them with discus or checkerboards.

Back
Top Bottom