Yellow spots on fish - lost 4 this week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crashball

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I posted yesterday on what i though was Ich in my tank. Its a 30 gallon with 3 Mollies, a platy, and opaline Gourami. Two gouramis (one already dead) and 2 of the mollies were added in the past week or so. It hasn't cycled yet, and after a 50% water change last night, the Ammonia is .5ppm (usually around 1ppm), and 0 NO2 and NO3. I just added salt and a new heater to slowly raise the temp yesterday after i lost our 3rd fish in 5 days to battle ich. Our bala shark was one of the few i didn't really notice white spots on, instead he looked like this. Notice the brownish color to his fins as well as his stomache - not normal.

DSC06545.JPG

I have now notcied similar brownish-yellow spots on one of our Mollies. Also just like out bala shark a day before he died, her tail is sort or dropping as she swims, as if struggling.

Is this a sign of something other that Ich? I was about ready to use Terta Lifeguard but since my tank isn't cycled, wasn't recommended. Petco also had Kordon Ick Attack which I was thinking of getting since it won't mess up my biological filter but decided instead to do the salt/heat method. My fish are dropping like flies.

Suggestions please? I hope i don't have to go home and find another dead fish.

Maybe looks like i'm up against velvet?

Fish Disease - Velvet

This sounds spot on, and also produces tinier whit spots than ich. We lost 2 before i even notcied our platy had it. Most of the fish coloring make it hard to spot, but the "rust" seems like a giveaway. I didn't want to try meds, but i think i'm going to pick up some ick attack.

Back
Top Bottom