Yellow tail acei

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leroy418

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This yellow tail acei of mine hasn't been eating. I've also noticed that its neck is hanging lower or puffed out unlike all the rest of my acei. I attached a photo. Could somebody tell me what could be the cause of the neck being puffed out. Babies maybe? Thank you

Attachments

• image-3103697413.jpg
    image-3103697413.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 82
Leroy418 said:
This yellow tail acei of mine hasn't been eating. I've also noticed that its neck is hanging lower or puffed out unlike all the rest of my acei. I attached a photo. Could somebody tell me what could be the cause of the neck being puffed out. Babies maybe? Thank you

Yep, looks like she's holding! Congrats!

Also during feeding time this fish gets really defensive and chases my other aceis around.

Leroy418 said:
Cool thanks. When would be a good time to take them out?

3 weeks to 29 days since spawning. Sometimes I don't keep track of spawning and strip my females as soon as I see head and tails lol. When she tumbles her mouth will open just enough to see the shine on their bodies and heads and tails :D I have one female who almost willingly let's me check her. I can scoop her up and pop her mouth open just a touch and look in. She is ridiculously tame tho and I have been stripping her since the 2nd time she's ever held and she gives me fry allllll the time :)

Ok so as soon as I see the heads and tails I can do it? This will be my first time doing this. I have a 5 gallon tank to go with my 55 gal, I can keep the fry in the 5 gal or no?

Leroy418 said:
Ok so as soon as I see the heads and tails I can do it? This will be my first time doing this. I have a 5 gallon tank to go with my 55 gal, I can keep the fry in the 5 gal or no?

You could, just be careful, sometimes you can see heads and tails and they still have a significant yolk sac on them.... Just be patient and don't rush things. Do you have an idea when spawning occurred? I'd be more comfortable counting down days with this being your first time. I've never housed my fry in a 5g smallest had been a 10g... Probably be ok short term... This is all my opinion and experience so if others have advice I'd love for their input too!

Back
Top Bottom