Yellow Tang aggression !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance75

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just introduced a beautiful purple tang and a sailfin tang in my 215 Gal tank and immediately, my yellow tang is harrasing the other two tangs. The yellow tang is just slightly larger than both of the newbies. I read that put in a mirror in the tank would help the yellow tang see its reflection and leaves the new purple tang alone. That method helped a little bit, but he still go to other corner where the other tangs are hiding and harrasing.

I also read that remove the yellow tang and put him in another tank for a few weeks. This is almost impossible because my tank is deep and long.

How long would the yellow tang's behavior continue? Any advices?

Thanks

I can't think of any solutions that don't involve removing the tang to be honest. Seeing as the yellow tang is the oldest, this behavior might not go away.

yes, i did some reading before get them. many suggest to get odd number of Zebrasomas, so i got both the purple and the sailfin. Although the harrassing is there, both newbies are eating ok.

They will either figure out a pecking order and mellow out or it will be a constant battleground with an eventual loser (or two). Removing the Yelliow and reintroducing is the only possible thing I can think if and there's no guarantee with that either.

Is it possible to re-arrange some rockwork? That might reset the yellow as far as territory so maybe they can all claim their own "new" spots. I've done it and have had success for the most part so I think it;s worth a try. :)

I experienced the same issue, had a yellow tang in my tank and introduced a purple. Yellow tang beat the crap outta the purple. Took yellow out for 4 days and reintroduced... problem solved

I think a lot of people FREAK out the moment they see tank mates going after the new. Don't freak out! You just added them and it's normal for older fish to chase the new fish for a while. As long as you don't see any marks or fins being nipped off they should be fine and things should get to normal.

Just keep an eye out for any real damage, and if in a few days (up to a week) the problem is still persistent or it gets worse than remove the fish you want out. Like many said make sure you move the rock work around, this helps break up territory so new territory needs to be established.

That should help curb the issue, but they will still need to chase one another for a while because now they will be fighting for their own spot. So it's not like it's going to work right away when you move the rocks, but it could. It didn't work right away for my fish, my poor yellow eye tang was harassed for a few days even after I moved the rocks, but eventually my Yellow Tang started to leave it alone and they even swim together now.

Also I am sure you are aware, but just in case! Make sure they have plenty of seaweed to eat! This curbs aggression!

I experienced the same issue, had a yellow tang in my tank and introduced a purple. Yellow tang beat the crap outta the purple. Took yellow out for 4 days and reintroduced... problem solved[/QUOTE
I had the problem of my powder blue and kole tang kicking the crap out of my new
Addition ( fox face rabbit fish )
Re doing the rocks , and turning the lights off while introducing were both helpful .
I'm not sure what actually helped but everything is good now

I finally removed the purple tang and place it in my friend's tank bcz the yellow beating it like crazy. **** mean *** yellow tang

I've always thought there were nicer and less aggressive tangs then a yellow .
They are popular , and pretty but for a small fish they require a lot of room to swim and too aggressive .

I WILL have a yellow/purple combo.. once I get around to buying another yellow, im going to toss the purple tang in a holding tank for a wek or so, then introduce them at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom