Yellow Tang not so Yellow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yellow Jobber

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've noticed that my yellow tang does not a have a deep rich color when compared to other yellow tangs I have seen. I'm thinking that my tang is not getting proper nutrition. I've been giving him dried seaweed pieces 3 times a week but I have recently increased this to everyday. He also gets frozen brine shrimp with Kent Soe added along with the other fish in the tank 1-2 times a week. What else should I be feeding him?

I would change from brine to mysis shrimp. They are better for fish. The key to feeding variety. Try some spirulina flakes. I also hang a piece of broccli in my tank every once in awhile for my tangs. They will feed on the little buds on it. Also to be on the safe side can you post your water test results so we can rule that out. And also what size tank do you have?

could it possible be a atlantic blue tang? they are yellow as juvienilles and turn blue as they mature.

Fading on color can be a sign of a whacked pH. What is your pH reading?

As juveniles, Atlantic Blue Tangs are yellow with iridescent blue eyes and sometimes a blue trim around the fins. Brine is ok as long as they are being enriched. I prefer to enrich them with spirulina and selco, but zoe should be ok too. Your feedings should vary. Algae should be the bulk of its diet, but you could create a mash of nori, mysis, clams, shrimp, fish chunks (silversides, etc) along with zoe or other vitamin supplement and freeze. It can be fed nori everyday and the mash twice weekly or whatever your schedule allows for.

That's a great point James, it also reminded me that the same food can also lead to fading of colors.....

Back
Top Bottom