Yellow tang with purple spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EyeInSky

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

On the left side of my yellow tang is a collection of 4 or 5 small purple spots. Not sure what it may be, any ideas? I don't think it's ich because it's white.

Had the yellow tang for about 2-3 years now, and has been healthy throughout.

Thx in advance.

Yeah, need more info. Could they be black? What size (like grain of sand? If so, it could be Black Ich.

Marine Velvet usually presents as a whitish, sometimes yellowish "dusting" on the fish. It's very fine, kinda powdery. I've never heard of it being described as purple spots, so I'm leaning away from that idea with the info we have right now.

I hope to take a picture very soon.
But until then...

They are probably a little bigger than a size of a BB pellet.

It looks like mold... tiny purplish blue dots with a faint white surrounding.

Hmmm...not MV, not Ich, pics might help.

What size tank? What other fish? Any new additions? Are other fish showing signs of anything (or the same)? Did this appear suddenly or over a period of time?

60 gal size tank.

Recently added a diamond goby that jumped out (and died) within a few days.
Also tried adding a diamond goby a month ago that also jumped out (and died).

We have plastic egg crates over the tank, but they both appeared to have jumped out while we removed them to do water changes... both seemed to do it either while we were pouring in the water (and was not noticed) or the brief minute or two while transferring water from the tank to the sink. We don't buy any more diamond goby's.

I don't think the tank is overstocked. We have 1 wrass. 2 green chromis damsels. 1 clownfish. And the yellow tang. We also have about 10-12 hermit crabs and about 4 or 5 turbo snails. A couple nacarius (sp?) snails and 2 cleaner shrimp.

We had a flame angel that lasted about 6-9 months before vanishing (we believe it died and got eaten by the cleaning crew).

The fish seem lively, and we do weekly PCW's (15%-20%).

We recently had a bloom of green hair algae, and are trying to aggressively treat it. Nitrates are at 25ppm... maybe 30ppm. The best we were able to have them was around 10-15ppm. The old drop testers showed apx. ZERO ppm... but I since purchased newer testers that haven't expired and they seem much more accurate.

Do you have any LPS or anemones that could have stung it?

Back
Top Bottom