Yes or no for driftwood found near bells beach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steele22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, seems solid and weathered found above sea level. Should i soak and if its clean after a scrub, put it in my 125L and take a chance? Cant see it being other than a good thing if it cleans up well. There is light grey branchy pieces, and also darker chunky pieces.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi, seems solid and weathered found above sea level. Should i soak and if its clean after a scrub, put it in my 125L and take a chance? Cant see it being other than a good thing if it cleans up well. There is light grey branchy pieces, and also darker chunky pieces.
Thanks

Pic will help to identify the type of wood

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Dridtwood photo.

Attachments

• 1425475956390.jpg
    1425475956390.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 91
Dridtwood photo.

Looks like a type of hard wood (which is what you want) I would soak it for a week and see what it does..
Does it float or sink?

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Thanks for the advice. Picked it on holiday, home tomorrow. Will float for a while i think then sink after a day or so. Probably copped a lot of rainfall flow looking at the environment it came from.

I would use it, after a long soak in water. Check to see if the water turns brownish.

Just started last night and it sank straight away. Water clear in the morning. I'll scrub the dirt off and keep soaking and see what it looks like in a few days.

Few days later and tannins are pretty noticeable after water changes. Lovely dark wood that will look great, but ill keep soaking for a long while. Bummer, not as easy as i hoped for. Might try it in my 10g guppy tank to see the impact first.

Added a smaller piece to my gyppy tank and a week later put it in my 125L. All very clean. Placed in a bigger darker wood piece (the size of a small leg of lamb) into the guppy tank and it is going straight into my 125l next week if all well. Looks really good, as posted earlier. Beats the heck out of my piece of purchased 'malasian driftwood' that just gets stinky and slimy during the soaking after a good month so far. I change the water too. Go the local pieces from nature any day.

The guppy tank got really dark, but the fish all still very playful. Water changes and it's better but still leaching tannins. Takes a while. Still soaking 3 other pieces with it only now looking clear for a few days. Nearly there with some great pieces to introduce. No short cuts as far as i can see, with 1 to 2 months required for best results. Really thought my wood was special and didn't need as long, but how wrong i was. Patience is key + the treated stuff from shops is a distant second option. If its got a tag, its probably a nag.

Back
Top Bottom