Yes! We have nitrites....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michaelg210

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am cycling WITH FISH.... 3 small pladies in a 10 Gallon tank with good, very fine substrate, 1 small anubia, 2 small java ferns, one very small sagittaria subulata (dwarf sag), and two crypts- lutea, pontiderifolia. (Not that I know much about these plants, but for those who do....)

Finally phase II of the cycling process.... tank is at .25 nitrite ppm.

need to find out at what level to begin pwc's to hold nitrites down and still foster nitrAte growth...

Almost there........

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about high nitrites. I don't think I've ever heard of nitrites stalling a cycle unless nitrites were specifically added somehow.

I'd try to keep nitrAtes below 40ppm though, and ammonia somewhere around 3-5ppm

Water changes will not delay the cycle appreciably and are very likely to save your fish. Doing a water change is almost always a good thing.

I think the rule of thumb for fish, is .5ppm, .5ppm, and 40ppm.
Water changes will not delay the cycle appreciably and are very likely to save your fish. Doing a water change is almost always a good thing.
Personally, I would do a 50% pwc any time ammonia or nitrite goes above .25

Ok, then it is unanimous! .25 and above on NH3 / NO2, will do a 50% water change.
Will do one later tonight.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom