Yet another DSB query

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loganj

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just looked at a 55 gal reef that I may start doing maintenance on. It has about 1" of what looks like Carib Sea Seaflor Special Grade. I know this is a large grain size for a DSB, but I wonder if you could make it deep enough to get any nitrate reduction? These folks previously had sand in their tank and changed to this stuff on the recommendation of the last guy who was maintaining their tank (who ended up killing most of their fish). I really hate to tell them we need to change it back...especially since I'm going to be telling them that they need more light, a skimmer, and need to start using RO water :oops: . Do you think 5-6" of the Seaflor would work? Or not?

I would think that it would, you could add some sugar size, maybe an inch or two so that it will eventually settle to the bottom.. That should reduce the oxygen down there, however, I wonder also, just how much oxygen would be down in 5 to 6 inches of sea floor grade.... Hmm well I just said a lot to say nothing.. Sorry

Correct me if I am wrong, but even if there was zero oxygen in the bottom of the sea floor grade, would it not clump up over time without the proper infauna? Wouldn't this lead to the failure of the denitrificaition process because the bacteria are being smothered?

Of course I could be totally wrong and talking like a crazy person...

:mrgreen:

I do like Timbo's idea of putting finer sand over the seafloor stuff. Overtime, wouldn't it sink to the bottom. You could actually build the sand bed up this way.

I had thought about adding the sugar sized sand to the seaflor. It has been discouraged by several folks on here because the mixed grain size isn't really right for any type of detrivore. I guess I need to just change it back to sand or try to control the nitrates with water changes. Maybe an infusion of LR will help with that as well.

Back
Top Bottom