Yet another icky ich situation...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chikadee

Aquarium Advice Activist
Alli was right when she said that dwarf puffers are ich magnets. I noticed one spot on a puff's tail. :? None of the other fish are showing spots yet. I read the article on using salt and heat to treat ich, but I just want to be sure that everything it says will be fine for my fish. (I have 12 dwarf puffers, 2 otos, 3 tiger barbs, 1 pleco) I should hike the temp up slowly to 86 and add a tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons, gradually... Anything else I should do? How long should I continue treatment for?

Thanks!!

The heat treatment for ich really works!
Just be aware that as the temperature rises, the ich life cycle is accelerated - meaning that you will most likely see many more white spots, even on fish that are now clean.
Temps above 87F is lethal for ich - just be sure to increase your surface agitation to compensate for the lower solubility of oxygen in warmer water.
After a week or so, you should no longer see any spots.
It is generally recommended to continue the elevated temp for a week after the last white spot disappears.

I hate ich - I hope you kill it good!

Back
Top Bottom