Yet another lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It "should" give about medium light if it's a 20 high. Potentially a high light level if it's a 20 long. Those suggestions are a likely possibility. I am reading those numbers from a chart. My tank going from the same chart should be a high light level but I am getting medium at best.

I am going to get a 20 gallon and was wondering if this unit

Amazon.com: Hagen Glo T5 Ho Linear Fluorescent Lighting System, Single, 24-Inch: Pet Supplies

would provide suitable lighting for plant growth, using it right on top of a glass canopy piece. Also what level would it provide (low, med, high) I don't have a preference on plants so id adapt to whatever lighting level it puts out

I have that exact same single bulb light on my 20 gal tall. I got it with the intention of it being a low-tech set up with light ranging somewhere between low and medium, and after a year or so with it that's about exactly where it falls. Attached is a pic of my current scape, and you can probably tell it's mainly low light stuff. A big, flowering anubias, tons of Java moss (it actually typically looks a lot more poofed out, sorta like a big java fern afro right up to the surface, but I did a big PWC today and it's still pretty flat), a small bit of fissidens (pretty slow growth, but growth nonetheless), lots of Java fern "Philippine", some crypt parva in the middle foreground (actually growing pretty well, surprisingly), and some floating Amazon frogbit and water sprite. In the past the light has also done very well with bacopa carolina and bacopa australis, and quite a few other easy stem plants and crypts. If you're just looking to do a low-tech set up then rest assured there are a ton of great looking plants that will work just dandy with this light.

img_2517075_0_aae5d1c3b18e2aaf5d3fa4596429e27b.jpg

The substrate is regular black gravel and I do weekly dosings of Flourish Comp and API Leaf Zone, plus a daily dosing of Flourish Excel. I also use DIY O+ root tabs for the heavier root feeders like the crypts. I run the lights for about 7 hours a day on a timer, plus it also gets a small bit of light during the afternoon from my kitchen window.

It's funny you post this now as I'm getting ready to tear this tank down. Good timing I guess! I'll be moving toward a higher tech set up but I've always been extremely fond of this particular low-maintenance and low-tech tank, mostly due to the Hagen Glo light. If I could have done it over again the only thing I might've changed is the substrate, opting instead for something like Eco Complete. But I've no complaints with the gravel too, it served its purpose surprising well. So yeah, this light definitely gets my endorsement!

Back
Top Bottom