yet another mystery snail thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I noticed that the front edge of my black mystery snail's shell is looking a little worse for wear. I can't tell what's going on... do I need to get some calcium in my water? Or is he growing? He has definately gotten bigger.

For the life of me I couldn't get a clear picture, but this is what I got...
img_726429_0_077687e5597bd15f28aa4eada19f53b8.jpg

img_726429_1_b7e251bde57abb9bef17b7b86baa5049.jpg

It looks like its almost damaged in some way.

Any insight?

Snails grow by extending the spiral outward, so I would say your snail is just fine. I think I read somewhere that a more opaque line, like on your snail, just is a sign of faster growth as opposed to darker, slower growth.

Well, it has been majorly pigging out on the pleco's zucchini lately, so.... :lol:

Good.

If he's growing fast calcium will help with his shell. If you have "hard" water there should be enough calcium in it. If not, drop a small (nickle sized) piece of cuttlebone (from the pet bird dept) into the tank for him to munch on.
Never saw a black snail with a striped shell - very nice

My water is somewhat hard. I will drop in some cuttlebone for him anyway. I have another fairly large snail in my tank too that I'm sure won't mind it either :)

Boosting the calcium in the tank using cuttlebone never hurts, but IMO your snail looks fine. New growth is laid down in layers. The last layer to be laid down is the color. If this guy is a new resident from a pet store, he is likely growing FAST because you have good clean water and plenty of food, AND no one pestering him while he eats. If you think he is growing too fast and his shell quality is a bit thin, dropping the temperature in the tank to the lower 70's will help. Snail growth is partially dependant on temperature. Of course you have to consider the fish in the tank and their temp needs as well.

Back
Top Bottom