Yet another pergnant molly question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy17

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I have a white lyre tail molly and she has been pregnant. For 35-37 days now. The friend that sold her to me said she was pregnant when I got her which was as you can tell over a month ago well today she has refused almost all food. Not very active. She is squared. And she is hanging out at the where the light is and its also where the warmest place is. Could this mean she is ready to birth soon.

Ok so I have a white lyre tail molly and she has been pregnant. For 35-37 days now. The friend that sold her to me said she was pregnant when I got her which was as you can tell over a month ago well today she has refused almost all food. Not very active. She is squared. And she is hanging out at the where the light is and its also where the warmest place is. Could this mean she is ready to birth soon.

If she's been pregnant that long I say yes! :) every fish is different but in a lot of live bearers, signs like that are there when the fish is about ready to drop. If you plan on putting her in a breeder or a separate tank, I would do that now. Btw, I love seeing pictures! Hint hint... lol ;)

Ok and she is separated. And I had to go DIY on this tank the filter cover is a upside down little plastic up with small holes in it for the filter to still work the light is a office lamp an the water gets the heat from the light. But my main tank ten gall. Has actual lights and stuff like that I'm just low on money. And I'll try to get you some pics.

Ok and she is separated. And I had to go DIY on this tank the filter cover is a upside down little plastic up with small holes in it for the filter to still work the light is a office lamp an the water gets the heat from the light. But my main tank ten gall. Has actual lights and stuff like that I'm just low on money. And I'll try to get you some pics.

Lol thanks :)

image-1015280272.jpg

image-3043255359.jpg

image-3066287455.jpg

Sorry for the low quality. And my water isn't cloudy it's jut the light.

Attachments

• image-3192685201.jpg
    image-3192685201.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 48
Sorry for the low quality. And my water isn't cloudy it's jut the light.

That's ok :) she looks a different shape then any of my pregnant mollies, but like I said, every fish is different... If shes been pregnant that long she should drop soon anyway. She is a pretty fish btw :)

That's ok :) she looks a different shape then any of my pregnant mollies, but like I said, every fish is different... If shes been pregnant that long she should drop soon anyway. She is a pretty fish btw :)

I sure hope so I'm really ready. My folks said that the fish has taken longer than the average person does. But it's just been over a month haha. But try do agree on how fat she is compared to my other females.

Sounds like she could be holding off the birth. They do this if they feel stressed or the conditions are not ideal. Have you got a trap you could put her in??. I would use this and put her in the 10g. I would then use the spare tank for the fry. Not having a heater in this tank could be an issue. Are you testing the water in the spare tank??

Sounds like she could be holding off the birth. They do this if they feel stressed or the conditions are not ideal. Have you got a trap you could put her in??. I would use this and put her in the 10g. I would then use the spare tank for the fry. Not having a heater in this tank could be an issue. Are you testing the water in the spare tank??

I made a trap wouldn't this just stress her out more though. And I thought that having her by herself would lessen the stress so she wouldn't have to worry about the babies been eaten while birthing. And the breeder trap I made is for my fry tank so when I put her in it if the does give birth the fry fall through the holes on the bottom so the wonte be eaten. So if I put her in the trap in the main tank the fry will be eaten. And I don't have a water test kit. They don't sell them where I live.

I made a trap wouldn't this just stress her out more though. And I thought that having her by herself would lessen the stress so she wouldn't have to worry about the babies been eaten while birthing. And the breeder trap I made is for my fry tank so when I put her in it if the does give birth the fry fall through the holes on the bottom so the wonte be eaten. So if I put her in the trap in the main tank the fry will be eaten. And I don't have a water test kit. They don't sell them where I live.
I would say the reason she's not birthing is a water issue. Can you order one online???. You really need a test kit. Temp is also another big factor as you WILL need a heater for the fry. You could try doing a large water change. This can encourage her to give birth....

I didn't know you didn't have a heater. The babies won't survive if the water is too cold

Ok well guys I just got the heater I'm going to let it sit in the water before plugging it up so it will be used to the temp of my water. And the heater makes my water 76-80 degrease

I know but the person at the lfs said it would be best to let it sit its been 7 so ill just let it sit the next 3 and turn it on

I know but the person at the lfs said it would be best to let it sit its been 7 so ill just let it sit the next 3 and turn it on
Sorry, it's late and i'm a bit confused, do you mean it's been sitting in the water for 7mins and your waiting another 3mins before turning it on??

Yes and it's now been working great and has now got the fry tank with the pregnant fish to the appropriate temperature

Yes and it's now been working great and has now got the fry tank with the pregnant fish to the appropriate temperature
Good stuff. Have never heard that one about letting the heater sit. I just plug them straight in. It's doing the job and that's the main thing....

Back
Top Bottom