Yet another question....fighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beautifulbettas

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have five females in a tank and they are always fighting and have horizontal stripes..,I'm worried

What size is the aquarium, what fillter are you using, and how much cover have you given the females ?
Those questions asked the female betta's could be fighting because they can't be finding there own territory, or are fighting because they are trying to figure out the pecking order.
As too the horizontal stripes it just means that they are trying to tell the males that they are ready too breed (i believe this is right).

If they are fighting, I would be inclined to believe that the horizontal bars would be due to stress in this case. While it is is true the females display these when ready to breed, I do not think this is this case in this instance.

Sorority tanks take some effort. Even female bettas are aggressive, so it is very important to make sure you provide enough room for them. How long have you had the girls? It is possible they are just establishing their 'pecking order'.

Actually it's vertical when they are ready to breed horizontal when they are stressed my tank is 20g and I have about 10 things in the tank for them to hide in

Back
Top Bottom