Yet ANOTHER stocking question - Aggressive Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RLG2182

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here is my stocking list idea. Went through the forums/compatibility lists... but couldn't resist adding my own to AA.

140 six foot tank w/60 sump. 120+/- LR. 2.5" LS, 2 skimmers, UV, refugium w/chaeto & mangroves, chiller.

Ideal list:

Koran Angel (only fish in the tank right now)
Snowflake Eel
Volitan Lionfish (REALLY want)
Foxface
Powder Brown Tang
Blonde Naso Tang

Niger trigger?
Dogface or Porcupine puffer?

All the lists I've read list caution with all triggers vs lionfish. And if this list isn't any more cliche, what order should these be added? I could do without the trigger/puffer if it were to just be able to have a lionfish... but at that point I wouldn't really call it a "predator/aggressive" tank at that point.

Thoughts?

That list may be just a bit much for your tank size. I would probably choose one of those tangs and either the trigger or a puffer. I will caution you that the porcupine puffer will get really really big. Make sure you are ready for that if you want to get one. In my opinion they should be left to public aquariums, people with massive 300+ tanks, or the ocean.

You do seem to have plenty of filtration so i think if you trimmed down that list like i talked about it shouldn't be a problem. The thing that i would be more concerend about is fish tend to be more aggressive the more cramped they get. You may start to see more aggression as you add more fish.

In general you want to add fish from the least aggressive first to the most aggressive last. I would put the tang in before the fox face and trigger. The trigger should go in last. I don't have a lot of experience with lions but i think they are not aggressive in the classic sence where they will nip or chase other fish. They are aggressive in the sence that they will eat anything that fits in their mouth (which is considerably larger then it looks) if they are hungry.

Yeah... I think I will take out the Powder Brown tang. I'm researching the whole Niger Trigger / Dogface Puffer / Volitan Lionfish debate on 50+ websites. Starting to think that the Dogface/Lionfish would be better suited than the Niger Trigger/Lionfish pairing for fin-nipping.

From what I've read the Lionfish isn't very aggressive until it's feeding time. Was thinking to put that lionfish in first along with an SF eel. Then the Blond Naso Tang, Foxface, then Puffer or Trigger. If still too many fish then the Foxface is first to go.

Sounds like a good plan. Because lionfish have the nice long flowing fins they seem to be a prime target for fin nipping fish. If you want a trigger there are some that are less aggressive then other. I believe nigers are one of those but i could be completely off on that. I have never had triggers myself. Glad to see you are doing your research. Many don't and it will save you a lot of problems down the road. : )

The UV is debateable, but you don't need 2 skimmers on a system. As for stocking, I know this is late, but most of the time puffers and triggers will pick at the lionfish flails (fins), which could cause infection or pierce the mouth of the other fish. A trigger and puffer would be a better scenario (niger and dogface are both less aggressive of their Family). The blonde naso might eventually outgrow your tank over the years, especially if the width is 18" or under.

I know you are going for an aggressive tank, but we have a foxface in our tanks with other fairly "peaceful" fish, and he is rather timid. We are currently housing a Pink spotted goby, foxface, ocellaris pair, coral beauty angel, and a flagfin angel. Just a suggestion, but the foxface is definitely timid and gets spooked really easily. We had a dogface before the angels and foxface, and he was rather peaceful as well. We have since moved the dogface into another FOWLR tank with only a juvi queen angel in our bedroom.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom