Yet another thread about moving with fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tkos

Aquarium Advice Addict
Sorry to start another one of these. I have started a move (it will be done in three parts) and I have 3 tanks. Each tank is beign moved by itself and I started with the 5 gallon betta tank last week. I didn't have any plastic baggies for him so I filled a 2L icecream container (one I use for water changes) and moved him in it. All worked fine. I finally went to the LFS and they gave me a bunch of bags for the rest of the fish. But I was wondering if just sticking with the icecream container should be fine. I have platies, white clouds and cories, so they are all small fish. The container sure was easy to seatbelt into the car, and was easy to pop the lid off to make sure things were going fine. It is only a 5 hour drive.

Also should I put a little bit of floating plant in there to make them feel a little more at ease of just leave it empty?

Thanks again.

Do you have live plants? You might want to put them in water as well, so the idea of putting a plant in the bucket to make the fish feel more secure is a good idea.

When I tore down my 75 gallon a few months back after my ammonia disaster, I filled a bucket of water for my plants.. but they weren't completely submerged. By the time I was completely done and the tank was ready for the plants, I found that the areas exposed to air were already completely dehydrated and yellowing. This was only 4-5 hours. I ended up throwing most of them away, putting some in the 90, and just keeping the two java ferns in the 75. I like ferns :)

Hi tkos,
Good luck with your move! I've never done this, but I think the ice cream container will be good. It worked well for the betta, so it should work well for the other fish. A few times, when my bettas were still in bowls, I put them in a critter keeper, put the critter keeper in a bucket that it fit into perfectly, and drove them in the car that way. I took them over to my parent's house when we went on vacation. (Now that I have the tank, my mom comes over here to feed -- don't want to leave the tank empty!) I liked moving the fish in the containers. The fish didn't seem to slosh around like they may have in bags, and I took the lid off too, a few times, to check on them.

I was wondering if a plant would be okay, without any circulation, but I think it would be, for 5 or so hours. The plant may not look too good by then, though, but I think it's a good idea. I think it would make the fish feel more comfortable. Hope this helps!

I have a ton of water sprite that I generally throw out so it isn't a problem putting that in with the fish. The next move is the platies and that means 4 babies (well they are a few months old now so teenagers I guess) and I want them to feel secure. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom