Yet Another What Is This (?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acewiza

Aquarium Advice Freak
Apparently my planted feeder tank is quite healthy. There's new things like tiny lily pads with a single root-like extension going straight down thriving in there. I didn't put them in there:

Lily_Pads.jpg

It was abut 2 months since I got the leafy one you see along with them. Did they somehow hitch a ride from the Fish Store? Any thoughts? TIA...

Sounds like it could be duckweed, can't tell from the picture though. Would have hitchhiked on a plant or something from the fish store. Can take over a tank pretty quick, most people don't like it.

Either frogbit or duckweed?

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras ,bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

Looked at all the dozens of aponogeton species pics I could find and couldn't make a match. They are really tiny, like about 2-3mm across the little floating leaf top part, with about a 2-3cm root dangling down. They don't seem to be getting any bigger, just multiplying. Like crazy. I can see why you might might not want them in an aquarium, whatever they are. :confused:

They are duckweed. Very invasive. What fish are in there? Goldfish and cichlids will probably eat them readily.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A Clue!

Or at least maybe a better picture. Definitely not Duckweed. Oddly and timely enough, I was just out walking the dog and came across some in the wild:

Lily_Padsa.jpg

So it is either an indigenous or invasive species here in Front Range Colorado. Still don't know what it is...

So, I was under the wrong impression what duckwed is. Caliban is correct! A few years ago somebody at one of the nurseries here told me duckweed was something else. So, will some types of fish eat it? Should I try to eradicate it?

So, I was under the wrong impression what duckwed is. Caliban is correct! A few years ago somebody at one of the nurseries here told me duckweed was something else. So, will some types of fish eat it? Should I try to eradicate it?

A few others for there before me but yeah defo looked like duckweed. Just gotta keep skimming it of the top if you don't want it. Might be good in a compost? Some people eat it in some countries.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom