Yeti's 55gal FW Journal (Pix and Flix)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yeti

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ill post my complete progress etc here, and plan to stay dedicated to it. If any of you want to leave some feedback, comments whatever, please do! remember I'm still a Noob!

Sunday April 1st, 2007
All equipment currently setup and running.
55gal long with cast Iron stand
- Whisper Heater
- Whisper 60 filter
- AquaCulture Dual Air Pump with 2 pressure check valves
- Some crappy light on top, no hood or cover (need to make one or fork out $120)
- Gravel
- Some Plants and Decor (more still on order!)
-Roman Background

I Have started my actual water cycle, I tossed in 2 raw uncooked/unseasoned shrimp into a ziplock with holes punched in it, I cranked the heat up and turned the lights off.

Current Water Conditions:
Code:
Temp: 85-86F
NO3: somewhere between 0-20
NO2: 0-.5
GH: 300
KH: 120-180
pH: somewhere between 7.0-8.4
NH3: (unknown, I need a tester still!)

so far it looks like:
img_792413_0_2aaeea22d66a5dcf091427e1d1d7d603.jpg

Since your cycling you dont have much to worry about but when you get fish you need to get rid of the "somewhere between" and get a real reading.

Tuesday April 3rd, 2007
The raw shrimp is starting to fall apart and decompose! this is a good thing. The water is looking cloudy now as well.

Current Water Conditions:
Code:
Temp: 85F
NO3: 
NO2: 
GH: 150
KH: 200
pH: somewhere between 7.6-8.4
NH3: (unknown, I need a tester still!)

More to come!

Wednesday April 4th, 2007
I got my ruins in today!! they are basically the centerpiece for my tank (its almost too big! haha) it has a bubble disperser in it as well. I didn't do any water checks today, I really need to get an NH3 tester ASAP, since I have had these shrimp in here forever.. everything is getting kinda slimy so I imagine something is working.. the only thing.. I dont think this payday (the 13th) ill be able to get an accurate tester, so.. is it safe to leave this stuff going like this for longer? can you OVER cycle?

heres some pix, lemme know what you think. I am still expecting a couple more vine like plants that Ill wrap around the columns of the ruins so there will be plenty of hiding places.

img_792774_0_1d56b6095f576b4b5e094fc0b81e3029.jpg

Overall
img_792774_1_870cb9e03dbb2a2eeb6cbfe03c015951.jpg

closeup of the ruins
img_792774_2_22b5551c437e63c78c03ccea26c44b37.jpg

top shot of the ruins

(more to come)

Looks wonderful and soon will be a great home to some fishies that could use a home. I am glad to see you using a fishless cycle and look forward to seeing the progress.

Update, found a nice test kit on ebay so im waiting for the time to get close and then im going to bid on it, hopefully i'll get it so I can start testing this water with an ACCURATE tester haha, ill save the dip strips for the bowl or something..

Okay while this is cycling and Im trying to find a good cheap test kit, Lets talk fish. I have plans to house the following fish (click the names for links):

Black Veil Anglefish
German Gold Ram
Gold Algae Eater
Hi Fin Lyretail Swordtail
Boesemani Rainbow
Albino Rainbow Shark
2 ghost shrimp
Japanese Trapdoor Snail
Betta (male)

I was thinking about swapping the gold algae eater for some other kind because he can get up to 1' long.. I dont want a pleco though, i think they are just ugly..

Im trying to average out what the Temp, pH and KH should be for the whole tank so they can all be comfy. I need to get some brine shrimp and some flakes I already have algae wafers and bloodworms along with betta pellets. - any input?

yeah thats the one i found on ebay (btw the bids are up higher than store price now) and this site has it cheaper than amazon by like a dollar some.. i think on payday ill buy this (have to wait till friday)

update: amazon shipped is 23.90
big als shipped is 23.44 so either way its about the same

2nd update: Hey since im cycling right now, If i have plans to toss in some java moss, would now be a good time?

now I always hear something different, that the ANGEL will harass him, its quite possible that I may just get a nano for my betta and keep him away from the 55gal. How about the algae eater, and the shark with the angel?

now I always hear something different, that the ANGEL will harass him
This is likely. Angels can be more aggressive than you might think. The albino rainbow shark and the golden algae eater are more of a threat though, as well as a probable threat to the angel. Rainbow sharks become pretty territorial with age, and golden algae eaters grow up to be large and aggressive, and eventually stop eating algae altogether. You don't necessarily need an algae eater. If you don't like plecos, you could pick up a group of cory cats for your bottom feeders, or a group of otocinculus (otos are pretty good algae eaters). The ghost shrimp will become snacks as your fish grow- fish love them as a treat. Boesemani rainbows are great fish, but they are schoolers so you should buy at least 4-5.

If you skip the shark, betta, and algae eater, you could stock:
the angelfish
the gold ram (you could keep more than 1)
the swordtail
4-5 boesemanis
the snail
5-6 cory cats or otocinculus

This is just an example; of course there are other species that would work fine for you. 8) Whatever you choose to keep, remember to take it slow with your stocking. You don't want to add all those fish at the same time.
Kudos for using the fishless cycling method- your tank seems to really be coming along.[/quote]

sweet thanks for the advice yeah I was watching an albino the other day munching on some other fish .. not cool the betta can just live in his bowl until I buy him a little larger tank, and as for the algae eater.. ill keep looking .. I dont like the dull brown/black looking fish hence why i dont like plecos.. but we'll see whats out there..

black hills tj said:
Neat Tank. I've never seen a roman setup like that!

yeah and I have so much more in store for it!! keep your eyes peeled

Friday April 13th, 2007
I purchased some duckweed and java moss and tossed that in there.. the duck weed instantly looked like crap and started to sink and attack my filter's intake.. so you were right on that, I am in the process of scooping it out now.. (waste of $1.50 oh well) I am using the java moss in moderation so it doesnt look taken over or messy, and when it starts to grow ill just remove more and more.. I have to give this stuff away haha..

I ordered the master test kit today so it should be here the end of next week..

More pix:
img_795430_0_babcdaa7d9280f165d7c2ce722b79557.jpg

Duckweed on the top ...
img_795430_1_a388e55986da05835b3ab8d962fe1575.jpg

Duckweed attacking my filter intake
img_795430_2_5d17d8a5f1a1223cd82f12b1b46bdeba.jpg

Javamoss in the tank
img_795430_3_52a3cb05909f4097a800a71806fbe236.jpg

close up of the ruins with the moss
img_795430_4_dbf615889f2cd06de0986d72e1b6ff0b.jpg

moss from the sides

not sure if I like the moss yet or not.. makes it look more 'planty' but i dunno - yes im still looking into other plants but for now its cheap and easy for a newb hah

Back
Top Bottom