Your Advice please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doc Detritus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a regular old Pleco in my freshwater tank (38 gal.). The problem is, is that he's getting WAY to big for the tank. He's about 8 1/2 inches long now. The LFS that I got him from some years ago told me to bring him back and trade him in. What should I ask for, or expect to get for this guy ?

Moved to general discussion.

Each LFS is different. I would take a picture of him in and ask how much they will give you for him.

It was more so of a "I can't wait to find out,I'm really curious" kinda question.This place has always been good to me. I'm sure I'll be OK with what they swap out . He's 8 1/2 inches long, and he's just gotta go. I'm sure their'll be a bunch of "boo-hooing" and I'm even more sure it won't be coming from the other side of the glass.

This is a fish that really doesn't belong in the hobby. It grows far to large to be a long term keeper for most aquarists. There are many similar species that don't get too big, and should be considered. With the availability of cheap common plecos from Florida fish farms, the stores always have them, but those that survive, end up being a problem at some point.
Whatever you get, be glad that they will take it back.

I think you'll be lucky to get $10 for it. Remember, the LFS has to make money off of it too. I see LARGE common plecos at my LFS that are 12"+ going for $20. Nobody wants them as they get too large.

wow $20 is a darn good price.. one of our lfs sells them for 60-120 for anything over about 8 inches! they're just commons too!

Back
Top Bottom