Your definition of a biotype aquarium.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeFeKt

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all,

I am seeing alot of people referring to their tanks or reffering to setting up a natural biotype aquarium.

I'm just curious as to what everyones understanding is of what exactly a biotype situation is.

To me in general, it's a total recreation of an organism's natural habitat, everything from the rocks-plants-fish, substrate and water parametres.etc

Inclusive of this is that everything living or non-living IN that setup would be found in each others natural habitat and co-existing so they can almost rely on each other for survival.

So correct me if i'm wrong on that. I just hope that everyone can judge weither or not they actually have, or will have, a "biotype" aquarium, including myself.

Personally i'm far from it with my play sand substrate and a couple odd fish from north of lake victoria, and im happy with that for the time being.
Further opinions would be appreciated so in the future I can steer closer to setting up something as suggested and hopefully correct a few others along the way.

cheers

Matty

For me it would be as if you went to your chosen region, cut out a section of the river and moved it to your tank.

You should have as many factors as possible mirroring the natural habitat.
This should include temp, light, food, tank mates, substrate. as much as possible.

That pretty much sums it up well. But in all reality, we can only come so close to a true biotope, as you would also need the same substrate directly from that biotope, to things such as insects, bugs, etc, that are in the water. We can go as far as the types of plants and fish, but can't really go much further. Even water parameters would be near impossible to match, because you would need to know the levels of every nutrient, chemical, etc, that is in the water itself. But we can get the looks pretty close with the plants and fish.

it would be cool to go around the world collecting every thing needed to replicate an enviorment that you liked, expensive but cool lol

my definition of a biotope is probabaly loose..i just try to create an environment that models the natural habitat of of my fish in that all the fish species and plats can be found together in nature... under similar conditions... true "biotope" perhaps not... :?

JDogg said:
my definition of a biotope is probabaly loose..i just try to create an environment that models the natural habitat of of my fish in that all the fish species and plats can be found together in nature... under similar conditions... true "biotope" perhaps not... :?

I would have to agree with JDogg. Trying to get it to look as natural as possible. Fish, Plants, and maybe wood form the area.

I agree with both LWB and JDogg. The fish and hardscape are pretty easy to replicate. I've found plants to be limited either in availability or quantity (anyone with a Java fern in their biotope would be immediately guilty of breaking the rule).

I agree with Defekt, that's what I consider to be a biotope. It's irrelevant if it 'looks' the part, if it doesnt perform the role it's supposed to. Malawi and other cichlids, and pufferfish, are perfect examples where setting up a 'mirror' of their natural environment is not only best for the fish but actually essential for keeping them, unlike tetra which can live in aquaria that are not set up to their natural environment.

Back
Top Bottom