Your Experiences With Johanni's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm looking to add some of these fine specimens to my 60G.
Try to avoid any horror stories, I'm very easily influenced ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Depends on the attitude. Mine was fierce and feisty but never hurt any of the fish

I know someone who keeps 7 males and hasn't had any issues at all, but I know someone else who has 1 and it tore through 3 of his fish..
I've no idea what to think.

You could also look at mainganos. They look the same, without the attitude.

You could also look at mainganos. They look the same, without the attitude.

Yeah I was looking at those as well.
My LFS definitely stocks Johanni but if push comes to shove I can always get out the puppy dog eyes and get them to order me some Maingano's.

?

In my experience so far they're not too different from any other mbuna keep em in a good male female ratio and you should be solid. What other fish do you have?

In my experience so far they're not too different from any other mbuna keep em in a good male female ratio and you should be solid. What other fish do you have?

I think general consensus is Johannis are actually pretty fierce. There are some that hold their own, but Johannis have been known to demolish other Mbuna tank mates.

Yellow labs, Acei, Red Zebras and Red Tops.

Yellow labs, Acei, Red Zebras and Red Tops.

Ya a Johanni would tear apart the Acei's, and Possibly Red Zebras, and labs too. You never know though. There's a general fish temperament, but there is also a great deal of individual variation I've noticed. I've had some fish that had a rep of being terrorists that here totally calm. And fish that were suppose to be friendly that were terrorists.

How's that red empress working out in there?

Sneaky Mbuna. I have an albino socolofi that systematically tags everyone.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406349045.670024.jpg
The picture doesn't do a good job of showing size but you can see the nick in it's fin (it's dorsal fin was nipped when I purchased it).

You lucked out, that's a gorgeous specimen. I think I told you that already, but ... ya.

Back
Top Bottom