Your favorite nano fish... Pictures please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sand dollar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just started a 14 gallon tank and am trying to plan what other fish to add in the future. I have a clown and a three striped damsel. I really want to add some fun colors but know that with this size I am only going to get 2, maybe 3 more in there, so want to choose carefully. I'd love some electric blue, bright yellow, purple, red or green. Good personality and compatibility with my current ones would be nice to know to. Looking at some of the wrasses (flasher maybe), firefish, and gobies but would love to hear suggestions. Two questions: how many fish do you have per gallon and what are your favorites, post pictures if you can!! ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

With this size tank, and your current stocking, I'd say your looking at 1 more fish. I'd skip the wrasses, especially flashers, as you already have 2 decently aggressive open water swimmers I'd look for gobies or blennies that are sand bed dwellers.

Edit: didn't you just start the tank 2 weeks ago? Best advice is slow down, you have a huge bio load for your tanks age.

Also, what would be your recommendation for best colors/personalities in a goby or Blenny?? So 3 max...I'm going to have to start looking into a bigger tank, lol :). My daughter wants a seahorse so maybe this 14 gallon will have a new use in its future when I move everything to a bigger tank. This is such an addicting hobby!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I love my royal gramma! Brilliant colors and quite the feisty little gal

Here's mine :)
MzqA2yC.jpg

Beautiful, so jealous of all of your corals too! It's hard being patient.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407762663.321122.jpghere is me gramma! Very entertaining!

Or a fire goby!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407762785.338108.jpgheres a shot of mine.

I like the fire goby too! Is he more of a mid/top swimmer or a bottom/rock dweller? Don't want my clown and damsel to torture anyone.

Mid to top, my o clown doesn't mess with him. The damsel, I don't know?

Ok, cool. How many fish and how many gallons do you have? I was hoping to get one more swimmer and then one that would hide in the bottom, but am hearing that may be too much?? When I talked to my LFS, one guy said 4-5 and the other said 3-4. I'd love more but don't want to get greedy and mess things up.

Got a 30 gallon with three. I will probably get 1 maybe two more down the road. I feed every other day and do 5 gallon weekly water changes. No problems yet. But am always ready to remove a fish if I need to. They will be small fish and bottom dweller. I'm pretty fanatical when it comes to water changes. My clown messed with the fire goby for a day. Now he doesn't mess with him at all.

On a 14 gallon I would say your close to max. Maybe a small fish no more. Tailspot blennys are nice to.

I thin if you want absolutely 2 more fish in this tank I would look at a pair of neon gobies

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll check them out! I have really enjoyed and appreciated all of the suggestions. It will probably be another month or more before I add but now I know what to look for at the LFS to help me decide (and who am I kidding, my kids are totally going to pick the fish out...I just need to have enough educated guidance to lead them to a smart choice ?).

Exactly on point there sand dollar! We are all here to help and were all starting out as beginners at one point. Just do the research like mentioned and don't let the lfs trick you or persuade you into anything. It will just lead to disappointment. We are here to help you :)

Back
Top Bottom