Yoyo loaches greying out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenkatydid

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My yoyos are always greyed out, not bold black and white. One of them is so grey as to be nearly a single-coloured fish with no markings, and when he gets excited, he turns into a inverted yoyo, with white markings on a grey background. My ph and temperature are within their preferences, my water's always fine for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate - I do 50% water changes fortnightly, and it's a heavily planted 4ft tank. I had 3 until today, when I added one more. The new one has better contrasting markings, so it will be interesting to see if they fade in my tank - or if having 4 loaches instead of 3 makes them colour up better.

Anyone got any thoughts or experiences with this?

Thanks!

As they get older they do fade some, I too would be interested in knowing how old they are. Try feeding some variety, add some veggies etc to their diet and see if they color up any.

i got them, as babies, about a year and a half ago. they're about 3 inches long.

they get a variety of sinking prepared foods (algae wafers, carnivore tablets, shrimp pellets), plus frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp or mysis shrimp once or twice a week, and live brine shrimp once or twice a fortnight. i occasionally put in some zucchini, mainly for the bristlenoses, but they eat some as well.

is there anything specific i could be adding? zucchini more often, do you think?

I'm not really sure....I have a yoyo botia myself that eats primarily flakes intended for my tanginyikan cichlids and his colors have remained consistent throughout the three or so years I've had him.

i'm starting to think it's just an individual thing. my new guy has more contrast to him, and hasn't started fading since being put in the tank with the others.

Back
Top Bottom