Zack's 310 gallon Reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefBoy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so finals are over at college and I finished my first semester. I worked 1 week and made bank and I will be working the next couple weeks as well. I now have the time to start this 300 gal+ reef build!!

I have decided I either want the 310 Gallon (96x30x24
or the 350 Gallon (72x36x30
or the 280 Gallon (72x36x24
Any suggestions?
If I go 8 footer it will be viewable from the front and back panels and it will be a room separator.

If I go 6 footer it will be viewable from the front and both sides and it will have its back against a wall.

Ok so once I decide on the tank I will be looking into a sump. The tank is going to be predrilled but I have no idea where to tell them to drill the holes??:ermm:

Any help on this?

I will need a protein skimmer too. Whats the best one? Is there any recommended brand or model I should get?

I will be purchasing the tank on Saturday 23rd. So i would like to purchase all the equipment for now. Thank you!!:cool:

Really? So the fish will still have enough room to swim without the tank looking too short?

I hope you are talking about height. because I am going with the 30+inch wide because I want to be able to rocks cape and get better oxygen exchange at the top of the tank.

Taller tanks are a pain to work with. One's arms simply aren't long enough most of the time when needing to work with the sandbed. Just some food for thought.

Yes, I was talking about the height. Have had a couple 30" high tanks and even at 6'2" it was hard for me to place stuff on the sandbed.

So I think I will go with the (96x30x24 tank. What sump would be best for this tank? A seamless sump? I think I like the Reef Octopus Elite 200INT Super Cone Skimmer. But I am not that say and I wouldn't know a good skimmer from a bad one. any input on this?

Also where should I ask the company Im ordering from to drill the holes? I want the holes drilled on either end of the tank do to the tank being viewable from the front and back sides.

Reef octopus aren't bad at all, I love mine. I would look for a skimmer that is rated for tanks slightly bigger than your complete system.

Is the bottom glass tempered? If not, why don't you drill the hole on the bottom glass on either side.

Ok so I changed to a Peninsula style tank that will be 72x36x24 or 72x48x24. I will be ordering it next Friday and I am starting the stand build right now. It will take 10-12 weeks to deliver.

So far I invested in another AI Hydra 52 and 26. I already have one of each. I plan to connect the 52 and 26's together to make 2 separate lights with 6 pucks each. ( Get my flow?)
I also ordered 3 of the CARIBSEA ARAGAMAX OOLITIC SELECT SAND 30 LB
I got another Vortech mP40. the new quiet drive one.

Will 2 mP40's be enough to power the 72x36x24? How about the 72x48x24?

I will be ordering the seamless sump also. Any comments on the seamless sumps?? As far as the skimmers go. I like the Reef Octopus also alex07!! Do you know anything about the AquaMaxx protein skimmers??

Zachary, I've heard and read good things about AquaMaxx skimmers but I have no experience with them

I have no idea coralbandit haha. I have never had a sump before and all I know is the tank has 2 holes ( I believe) that will be drilled on then bottom of the tank.

Ok so AI will make sure I get a good size skimmer coralbandit and alex07. I sent my mp40 quiet drive back and Im ordering an mp60 instead. Should I buy the quiet drive or will the regular be fine?

Thanks for all the help btw all!! Once I get all the equiptment in a pile I will create a new the=read and let everyone know each step of my stand build, tank arrival, aquascaping, everything :)

Ok so AI will make sure I get a good size skimmer coralbandit and alex07. I sent my mp40 quiet drive back and Im ordering an mp60 instead. Should I buy the quiet drive or will the regular be fine?

I've read that the quiet drives are stronger than their predecessors. Either would work I'd think.

EDIT: I would hope that there are more pumps in the tank though. 310 is a ton of water for one pump...I run two MP40's in my 55. They are set very low, but even at full strength one shouldn't be enough flow for a tank of such size.

Back
Top Bottom