Zeosand substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dehinrichs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm setting up a new aquarium and want to use pool filter sand as the substrate. I called a local pool supply and they said that the sand they carry is called Zeosand. I checked out this website: http://www.zeoinc.com/zeosand.shtml
and it looks like zeosand does contain zeolites.
Would this work as a substrate? Or should I keep looking for 'regular' pool filter sand?

Thanks...

I work at a pool store, and know about the zeosand you are talking about. Basically, it is an alternative to pool sand. It is half the weight of pool sand. The structure, if looking at it through a microscope, is very porous and has many surfaces for debris to get caught in. I also believe it is a pure white color, at least the stuff we sell is. It is usually twice as expensive as pool sand, if not more.

I would search for just regular pool sand, unless you are looking for a white bottom in your tank. This will show poo and other detrius very easily, which may not be appealing to you. Pool sand has a beige tone to it, and looks more natural.

Funny but until I set up my tank with blue-green gravel, I found out I could have used pool sand from my store. For free! Oh well, when it comes time for a tank overhaul, that is what I am changing my substrate to.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom