Zer0's 25G Rimless Cube Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kevin, How's yuo wrk that deal? Congrats on the extra cash!

Let me know if you want a small taodstool leather. I'm trading my one for a replacement rock and sps and still have some smaller frags. I only want to keep one in my tank.

Haha Mitch, i'll try and get that one if i ever decide to buy coral from liveaquaria. But if i get an even nicer frag of birdsnest i'll dedicate that one for ya. ;)

cmor, i think my parents feel for me lol, because i've been trying so hard to get a job.. but lately i've been having some pretty terrible luck at finding one.. :( Also, i appreciate the offer on the coral, but i'm trying to steer away from softies, or anything that could possibly cause a mess in my tank, and i believe that leathers like to slough.. correct? Plus, the aim of this tank is pretty much zoas and sps lol.

Birdsnet is nice! I got a tiny frag and its growing nicely! Looks so neat too! Very pleasing to check it every week and see it growing larger and larger!

That orange looks so neat! Too bad I spent my budget on acans and some more acropora (ORA Borealis).

SPS is quickly becoming my favorite! In close second are the acans and chalices...Next would have to be my dragon soul favia. (Such a pretty coral!)

Youll have to keep us updated with pictures of the new corals to come! I need to get around to posting some also...
Matt

Oh definitely! I'm updating this thread regularly, with pics of every new addition to my tank. There will also be progression pics.. ;)

Well actually my cycle is over. I tested it again 5 minutes ago and got these results:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0 to 5ppm range since the color isn't bright yellow.. and it's not a dark orange. Dark orange on my test cards means 10ppm.

So it looks like i'll be going to my LFS either tomorrow or on Wednesday to pick up chaeto and grape caulerpa. Maybe a hermit or a snail if they have something i like. After that.. i'm ordering from reefcleaners since i want their nano macro algae pack, and i want those hermits and cerith and nerites they have. I would go through my LFS.. but usually they just have tanks filled with random hermits and snails..

where is the nitrates? sorry im confused about this cycle and just trying to learn. i thought nitrates always went up thus the reason for a big water change after the cycle. it wouldnt be algae i wouldnt think cause every one has that after a cycle and they have nitrates. its not chaeto as he is picking it up soon. unless he has some and is picking up more? im lost here sorry.

Kevin,

You are correct about the leathers. Better not to have it an sps dominant tank of that size. I had to frag mine a few ago after my tank overheated and melted everything while I was in India. The main one grew back and is huge and the 5 frags are decent size now. I'm trying get rid of some to be replaced with more sps. I found a lfs in Dunellen that will take them on trade for some sps frags.

So, have you done your large PWC after the cycle? I'm pretty sure your tank is ready for some small bioload and snails and (snail killing) hermits won't be much of a load.

Yeah, i see what you mean cmor. That's mainly my whole reason for only wanting certain types of coral. As you can see, my tank isn't filled to the brim with LR, so i don't really have unlimited space for coral. This tank is also more aimed towards, zoas, rics, mushrooms, and SPS. Except for the duncan and the blastos i said i wanted. From what i've read, most of those coral are community. I know the blastos and the duncan have feeder tentacles that sting, but they won't be placed near any other coral. Am i correct in thinking those two LPS have stinging feeder tentacles?

And yeah, my cycle is over. I tested again about 10 minutes ago and i still have 0ppm of ammonia, 0ppm of nitrites, and 0-10ppm of nitrates. So i will be doing my large water change tonight, probably 45%, test water parameters again, and then if all seems well, im off to the LFS. :)

harmy, i do have nitrates, they're just very little because my ammonia only went up to 1ppm.. maybe higher if i missed the spike, and my nitrites went to 1ppm. So i never had extremely high readings of either one.

The Duncans tentcles are the ones you see all the time. They don't have any extra sweepers etc. Blastos on the other hand are similar to Lobos, Trachys and Scollys. They have short, stubby tentacles like Acans. These tend to come out at night. I don't know if these are particulary potent as they are too short to reach anything apart from what lands on or near the tentacles.

Alright! That's good info to know! Thanks Mitch! Seems i won't have anything bothering my other corals then. ;)

I got new stuff! Nice.

Check 'em out people.

Here's my new little buddy. For those of you that don't know, he's a yellow clown goby. REALLY small, and i'm a little worried he might get sucked in my overflow. Just hoping he doesn't venture near it. He's a little skinny too.. He doesn't look beat up or anything and i got to see him eat, so he should fair well in the tank. We'll see what happens though.
352f6z6.jpg

2iveo78.jpg

10454b9.jpg

Here's my CUC. Pretty small since i don't have a ton of algae yet in my DT, just in the fuge. 2 Astreas and 3 random hermits.

Here's them acclimating:
ve8b3l.jpg

Here's one of the hermits already going to work on my sandbed:
2lddci1.jpg

Another goby shot:
o60ewz.jpg

Refugium shots:
aca3rk.jpg

117wf7n.jpg

Haha thanks capj64! Haven't named him yet.. but yeah, i think he's gonna like those rocks too. A lot of places to hide and perch. For now he's just chillin on the sandbed on his belly.. but we'll see what he does in a day or so. :)

Back
Top Bottom