Zer0's 25G Rimless Cube Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They don't produce THAT much heat.. I mean, maybe 2 or 3 or 4 of them would, but one doesnt have that much heat. Plus, just put a small fan across the tank and your good to go.. not that hard. To get the same intensity of MH's, you would need a lot more bulbs. You only need one for MH. ;D
that is true.. hmmm...

Thanks for the motivation Mitch lol. I'm really just thinking about taking my chances and starting the tank regardless if we have to move or not. If we do.. then i guess i'll cross that bridge when i come to it. This weekend i'll be building the stand! Woot.

if nothing else you can get the cycle done and if you move keep the rocks and sand in water and will be a quick mini cycle after the move

Yeah... I was thinking about doing something like that. I could keep it a fowlr for now... And when we move, or if we stay, and we're sure of it.. Then I could start adding coral. Not sure what I'll do yet but what you said is a pretty good possibility.

it takes a good 6-8 weks for most cycles. so you have 2 months. if you move you dont lose anything except little bit of salt. if you dont move well you are ready to go.

Where are you pulling that number from Harmy? Most cycles take around 2-3 weeks absolute max. Something's going on if yours is taking 6-8 weeks.

oh im pulling mine from fresh water experiance althou i wouldnt think it would matter maybe fresh water/salt water diffrence does.

i always thought it was about a 2 week process for ammonia part and about double for the nitrite part.

I think there's many factors when it comes to how long or how short a cycle takes because I've seen peoples cycles take a week maybe two, and others take around 3-4 weeks. All I know is that when I start my cycle I'm not expecting miracles... I'll just let it do it's thing.. However
long that may take. Last time my tank cycled in a week and a half and my ammonia was off the cards reading above 9ppm lol. That definitely won't be happening this time though.. I'll be using pure ammonia to control how much goes in. ;D

Bit anyway, the stand is built(perfectly might I add lol) and the sump is in place etc.. Now I just need to drill the tank and then setup the plumbing and I'll be good to start up the cycle. Sweet.

I'll take some pictures of the stand later tonight.

Following along. Looks good so far, interested in seeing some water in that tank.

I cycled my 150 in 2 weeks with ammonia peaking at 2. My rock was very very cured though when purchased.

Ok.. SOOO.. it has definitely been a while since i've updated this thread and i'm sorry for that. I've just been so busy with school and all... that i've hardly hard time to setup the tank.. let alone document it. So i hope this next update can make up for the time lost during this build. I'll try and take as many recent pics as i can.. but it's all pretty boring lol. And yeah.. lol.. i know you can see most of me in the videos lol.. but i could really care less. Just let me know what ya think. Once i move the tank up to my room there will be lots more pics because that's when i'll be putting sand and rock in. I've got my rock structures down and i've used acrylic rods and silicone to complete them.. so i hope you all like them. but that's for next weekend. ;)

Here's a couple videos to show the progress of my tank. If anyone has any suggestions or advice as to how my tank is progressing please let me know.

So.. here's just a basic wrap around of my entire tank and how it runs etc.. Right now it's running in my basement. I'll be running it in my basement for about a week just as a plumbing test and leak test. Don't want it busting a leak in my room lol.. i've got carpet and i'm on the second floor so it would be bad if my tank sprung a leak.

Here's the first video:
View My Video

Next video is when i turn off the return pump... trying to replicate if there was a power outage and the return pump shut off:
View My Video

Now here's another videos of the return pump turning back on. Let me know if anyone sees anything wrong or if anything should be re-aranged.. etc.. I'm trying to do this completely right this time around.
View My Video

Alright.. that's all for now.

EDIT*

Hahahaha.. just watching the video right now im laughing at the teeth on the overflow box. They're so messed up and crooked hahaha. Still.. it works so i guess that's all that matters. I spent like 5 minutes looking at the return looking for little air bubbles just to check if there was a air leak in my return but i've yet to find an air bubble come out of the return so i think i'm good. Hopefully. But.. i turn the return pump off and on and everything seems to work fine and nothing oveflows so i think i'm good. I'm still going to let it sit this week though to see how the plumbing fairs out.

Also, sorry for the video quality. It was my first time taking videos with that camera... :s

Believe it or not.. i'm really REALLY happy with the results this time around and i think the tank is going to go as planned. But i guess we'll see about that. ;)

looks really good. thats the part that makes me nervous. when it comes time to find out if i left enough room in the sump for a power outage

Yeah.. i agree with ya. I was pretty worried about that too but i had some help to get the water level dialed in just right. ;)

Stop worrying and test it. Pull the plug on the return pump and see where the water level rises. If it looks like it's going to overflow, plug the pump back in. Then adjust the return to be higher in the tank, or drill a small hole in the return line ¼" below the water level of the return line. That will break the siphon from the tank to the sump.

Thanks for the info cmor but i'm not worried at all. I've turned off the pump several times since sunday and my sump has never overflowed. It always came up to 3/4 the tank. The way i positioned the baffles and all, it works perfectly. :)

It shows in the videos lol.

Back
Top Bottom