Ziggs 46 Gallon Planted Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggs180

Aquarium Advice Freak
Third Tank i've setup in about a year, and in the process, decommisioning my 29 Gallon tank to make way for this baby.

I'm using Miracle-gro Organic soil, and I've added red clay underneath the substrate as an iron source for the plants and capped it all with Gravel. I'm going to probably start removing the fish and place them in a temporary container very soon, and then hopefully by tonight when everything is done, start reacclimating them into the new tank. Of course the tank should be cycled since i'm using the same filter as before.

I'm likely going to add extra fish in another month, and I might pass by a LFS store to buy another plant or two on top of the ones I already have.

dscf1437q.jpg

dscf1436l.jpg

dscf1433l.jpg

Set up the tank yesterday, I had to get rid of my massive amazon sword because the Roots were way to developed. I clipped off several of its runners and planted them instead. I woke up this morning to a severe Bacterial bloom and most of my fish at the surface gasping for air. I've amped up the power head and HOB filter to get as much surface movement as possible to oxygenate the water.

To sadden the news one of my platys died over night. I half expected her to die, as shes been the weakest of my platys for months now. The Rest of my fish seem to be doing okay, but they're hanging at the top of the water trying to get oxygen.

I would like to provde a picture, but the water is just to cloudy and any picture I take comes off rather bad.

Just did some measurements, Ammonia is around 0 ppm. my Ph is at around 7.0, which i'm happy about, since If there is a mini-cycle the ammonia toxicity will be decreased.

My fish are alternating between breathing at the surface and heading to their respective levels in the column. My Rams and Platys are doing some exploring, while my Dwarf Gourami and my Bristlenose pleco go to the surface for air then go back to their business. My platys are also chasing eachother a bit, which is a good sign.

Picture Time!!! Tank still a bit cloudy from the bacterial bloom, but its definitly better.

dscf1482hy.jpg

dscf1477d.jpg

dscf1446h.jpg

dscf1442l.jpg

The Fish are doing much better now, they are swimming around, and seem to be starting to mark territory. There so far is less Aggression than my other tank, since there is more space for the Rams and the Dwarf Gourami to keep to their territory.

I'm planning to Add a single Angelfish per suggestions in another thread, and possibly a School of Cory Cats as well. If anybody can make good suggestions it would be appreciated!

I think it looks good. Have you thought about outing a center piece in like some driftwood or some kind of rock?

I'm actually hoping that my Water Sprite and my Valisernia grows out forming a thick brush area in the center, to form as the center piece. I also have a small Amazon sword on the far right that will hopefully grow out.

Back
Top Bottom