Ziggy's 54g Corner ReScape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggy953

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well now that I have the planted bug and things are going well with the 40b and I'm still waiting for things for the ADA tank, it is time for me to do something with the 54g corner tank.

When I ordered the substrate for the ADA tank I ordered enough to rescape the 54g tank as well.

Here are some pics of what the tank looks like right now as of today:

qtl8ShK.jpg

fUGlq2l.jpg

g4gV9Rg.jpg

As you can see it is a mess of plant mass and very little structure. When I set this tank up over 5 years ago I really didn't know what I was doing and I had less understanding of substrates and plants. This is, or has been a successful system though boring.

For the rescape I intend to bank the substrate up very high on the right side of the tank allowing it to flow down towards the middle with an equally high slope on the rear right. I want to have something carpet the hill side. I have some large rocks and the wood that is already in the tank that will be used in this rescape. I have a general idea of what I want it to look like.

As for plants - I don't know. I will use some of the plants that are in the tank but not all of them. I love the look of the Vals and will save them, the rotala will go back in as well but will be more controlled. Aside from that I will need to make a trip down to the LFS for more plants.

Crossing my fingers that my success on the 40 can be repeated on this system. I will use the same LEDs that are on the tank now and will reintroduce CO2 and Ferts to this tank. This will be a lower light tank so I will have to plant with that in mind. I was successful with this tank when ferts and CO2 were being dosed. The light did a good job of keeping things growing and looking good.

I'm trying to motivate myself to get started on this now......

Motivation is the biggest challenge..just imagine your tank blowing up and all your fish dying because you didn't mantain it right..that's what gets me..

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Following along...
Is the overflow in operation and do you plan on using it in re scape???

The overflow is not in use. I have a canister filter running the tank. I will not be using it in the new scape either. I have PVC pipes in the holes to keep water from flooding out.

It continues.... UGH!

taQdZeB.jpg

qFtNvTe.jpg

Plants that have been saved. Half a 5g bucket full
nXyKQYr.jpg

Wood and more plants
cM1PlKm.jpg

gBzhcXN.jpg

Lots to do still. This is not going to get a lot further tonight.

I was wondering when this was going to go down. This is going to be fun.
Post #1, paragraph 4, line 1:
As you can see it is a mess of plant mass and very little structure.
Made me think of my tank.

I was wondering when this was going to go down. This is going to be fun.
Post #1, paragraph 4, line 1:
As you can see it is a mess of plant mass and very little structure.
Made me think of my tank.

haha!!!!

The 54g adventure continues....

IIRygD9.jpg

Amazingly this tank did not stink when I moved all the substrate around. I was really surprised about that.
OwNvsTp.jpg

Scraping the last of the blue paint off the tank!!!!
M6NW2Um.jpg

LOz9j5Y.jpg

Tomorrow I am going to Home Depot to pick up some frosted glass film. No more painting the back of tanks for me. I wish I hadn't painted the 40. Oh well.

The paint is gone. The substrate has been rinsed as well as it is going to be rinsed. Tomorrow I will pick up the frosted window film for the sides of the tank and some lava rock to add to the substrate before topping off with the new brightwell aquatics substrate.

I will take lots of pics and maybe setup my gopro to record.

Until tomorrow.....

Following along for the ride. ?
I just get the black baking film and attach it to the back glass with vegetable oil. Squeegee out the air just like window tint. Doesn't evaporate.

Well I elected to go with a reflective smoke film. Largely because that was the only option I could find locally that wasn't some silly picture.

We will see how it goes.

Following along for the ride. ?
I just get the black baking film and attach it to the back glass with vegetable oil. Squeegee out the air just like window tint. Doesn't evaporate.

Good tip. This is peel and stick/removable film. I'll see how it goes.

So here we go with some pics...

0Pfdbg5.jpg

I layered the old substrate with lava rock then substrate then more lava rock. Since I have it banked up pretty high I thought the addition of the lava rock would help.
9UWZ2gM.jpg

3bVMrY2.jpg

Rock, wood and substrate in place
QNGZ6yU.jpg

O5V6g6d.jpg

sKybGMZ.jpg

ZiRSOyl.jpg

I'm pleased with the look though I wish I had another large piece of wood. Maybe I will pick one up tomorrow from the LFS. Maybe not. I don't know.

Looks good Ziggy! Like how the wood on the right kinda sits over the rock and goes up to the surface

I think you've already been asked but is the overflow still in use?
Is that another custom led setup I see?

sit in silence...

Back
Top Bottom