Zoa and paly placement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alink708

Aquarium Advice Activist
Whats the optimal placement for zoa's and paly's?
The common zoa's I have seem to do fine where ever i place them.... but the last 2 weeks i bought a few more expensive paly frags .. Yellow jackets , candy apple reds and pink zippers. I cant seem to find a spot the new guys like, what kind of light and flow to these guys like the best?

Moving a coral much stresses them out. I had one large zoa frag that didnt open up for 2 weeks, now its open night and day and spreading like crazy. it just takes time for them to get used to their new area.

I havent moved them much, just like 2 inches higher. They are still on the plugs and I havent put them permanently in a spot. But im not familiar with what palys like these like, closer to the light up high or lower tword the bottom and what kind of flow they prefer

I have heard mixed things on this topic as well. I have heard that higher flow will cause the skirts to grow a little longer but they don't care for too high a flow. I would guess moderate. As far a light placement I have heard that lower light placement will produce better coloring, especially in the deepwater zoa varieties. I have a 12 gallon nano with about 8 different zoa types and I have them all at mid tank level. They seem to be doing well.

There is no such thing as "deep water" anything, except for non photosynthetic filter feeders. Nothing grows down there due to lack of light. This is another term created to sell corals, not unlike "Japanese" corals.
Zoas grow in shallow water. Some types are more sensitive than others and respond differently. Some are very slow growers, some super fast. I would start all corals on the sand bed and work them up slowly.

I started all of them on the sand bed the yellow jackets seemed to be doing ok so they are still on the bed.... but I have lost 3 heads on them so far and another is shriveling up. The other 2 I moved up about 2 inches and it seems like its hit or miss if they want to open or not. My Zoa's all do fine but these paly's are giving me issues. Im new to paly's also...
My main concern is loosing the yellow jackets, they open all day, but im still loosing polyps from it.
Any advice Doug? My levels are 0 across the board. and im at 0.024

I would bump the the salinity up just a tad bit but I don't know if they will do better as a result. I never liked zoas so I didn't keep them often.
I kept and sold 99% LPS and SPS.
I would ask the guy you got them from.

No I diddnt dip, cant find it anywhere around here. I have examined them up and down i dont see any parasites or pox on them. I have been watching them at night and all night long the amphipods are just swarming the yellow jackets, they arent on any others....like just now i hit them with the flashlight and about 20-25 pods were swarming them and jetted off.
This morning one polyp was open and looking nice...but in the afternoon it was closed up and did look like it was melting away though....

Back
Top Bottom