Zoa Frags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosesrblu1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone,

I picked up some pretty zoa frags today and some were mounted to glass tiles (like you find in a bathroom). The Zoas are doing well, and have even opened up within an hour in my tank. My question is, can I take the zoa frag off the glass? The tile is really big and I want it to look more natural. I also have 2 that are currently on plugs as well. They are kind of clumsy and would prefer to attach all to,different parts of rock in my tank. I don't want to injure the coral in anyway.

Thanks!

Rosesrblu1 said:
Hi everyone,

I picked up some pretty zoa frags today and some were mounted to glass tiles (like you find in a bathroom). The Zoas are doing well, and have even opened up within an hour in my tank. My question is, can I take the zoa frag off the glass? The tile is really big and I want it to look more natural. I also have 2 that are currently on plugs as well. They are kind of clumsy and would prefer to attach all to,different parts of rock in my tank. I don't want to injure the coral in anyway.

Thanks!

Probably ceramic and not glass but you can use a razor blade to remove them. Getting under them and the mat as close to the frag tile as possible. If done right it will come off in one piece and you can super glue to live rock. Zoa's are pretty tough to kill.

It's definitely a clear glass tile, I'll get a pic tomm when the lights are on. The tile completely,clear with that mesh backing like for a bathroom tile. The guy said he ran out of plugs and was using them till he got more in. I can prob cut right though the glob go glue he used. I I would prefer to attach to a pc of rock rubble. They look pretty hardy, might wait a week or so till they are completely acclimated to my tank and water parameters. Thanks!!

With polyps I tend to just "seed" a section with them and then sell off my original purchase to either get my money back or more ;)

Mrc8858 said:
With polyps I tend to just "seed" a section with them and then sell off my original purchase to either get my money back or more ;)

Yes, an easy way to do this is by putting the frag disk on live rock and allowing the polyps to overgrow the edges once a number have you can remove the fully loaded disk and sell it. Zoa frags are a good way to help pay for supplies.

Hubby and I were thinking the exact same thing. A great way to find the hobby. I picked up these yellow guys today with yellow skirts. Very cool morph! Could prob sell on cl.

Great advice. Lots of encrusting corals can be handled this way. Let the colony grow out and resell the seed tile or plug. It's how I cultivate soft and encrusting corals in my frag tank. Just a egg crate rack full of plugs, you remove them as they grow over.

Back
Top Bottom