Zoa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NarwhalLover3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought some Xenia today at my lfs and there were all kinds of hitchhikers. There were several pods, a pink stomatella snail, and a single polyp of what I believe I be a zoa. I don't want it to float around the tank, so should I just sit in on a small rock in a tub an wait for it to attach?

NarwhalLover3 said:
I bought some Xenia today at my lfs and there were all kinds of hitchhikers. There were several pods, a pink stomatella snail, and a single polyp of what I believe I be a zoa. I don't want it to float around the tank, so should I just sit in on a small rock in a tub an wait for it to attach?

Not sure if it would attach like that. I'd glue it to some rubble

Well crap! I just got back from there like three hours ago. Is there anything else I could use?

Depending on its size I've had success putting ruble in a double shot glass and then placing the coral in the glass. That way the coral can be in your tank but the glass walls protect it from the current. I guess a mason jar would work too if that's a better size

I think I'll try that. How long should it take to attach itself to the rubble?

Mine took after two days however I left it in the glass for about 4. It all depends on the scenario I guess. I like glasses that don't have writing and are clear. Often you can see if its foot/base has attached.

Thanks! I have in a plain, clear glass about the size of a shot glass by my other zoas.

They seemed to be attaching perfectly, and when I got home from school today, they were gone... I'm crushed. :'(

I just read this thread and I am a bit surprised. I feel you were let down slightly because it will take a zoa/Paly a month or two to attach to anything. Take it from me, I have 15 years experience with zoanthids and can tell you with complete confidence that you need to take the first step attaching coral. I personal have been using gel super glue from the local dollar store and simply attach the zoa to a bead of glue.

And glue with a base of cyanoacrylate will be reef safe. I trust it completely. These are my sumer lovin palys from Zoanthid.com, I spent 170$ per polyp and they are being held with super glue.

Eventually the zoa will grow around the glue and attach...

Attachments

• image-1868533932.jpg
    image-1868533932.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 117
Maybe I'll find them and try the glue. I'm not sure if my fish or the current blew them out. I hope they turn up. Just hoping they art in my filter. :/ thanks. I'll be sure to use the glue in the future and how long should I let it set, in or out of water? And the glue will be fine on the zoa's body? It won't burn or anything? My zoas had nothing attached to them. Try we're actually being enclosed by Xenia.

I just read this thread and I am a bit surprised. I feel you were let down slightly because it will take a zoa/Paly a month or two to attach to anything. Take it from me, I have 15 years experience with zoanthids and can tell you with complete confidence that you need to take the first step attaching coral. I personal have been using gel super glue from the local dollar store and simply attach the zoa to a bead of glue.

And glue with a base of cyanoacrylate will be reef safe. I trust it completely. These are my sumer lovin palys from Zoanthid.com, I spent 170$ per polyp and they are being held with super glue.

Eventually the zoa will grow around the glue and attach...

sweet
where you find them I want some (y)

I'm sorry that happened. I hope they turn up. I still think that a glass or PVC protective enclosure is a great way to have your corals attach the natural way however glue is often a quick fix. I just found that you can only use glue for Stoney corals. Leathers and really any soft coral often grow a slime coat which defeats the purpose of the glue.

Best if luck with all of it. We all have sad stories. Unfortunately it seems to be part of the hobby.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom