Zoanthids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ianrich147

Aquarium Advice Activist
I will be shopping this weekend for my wifes mothers day present and it will be Zoanthids for her new 30g (6mo old) just wondering what your favorites are. also do you feed your and if so what do you feed them.

thanks

Zoanthids are great, and easy to keep. Ans they come in such a great color assortment. You really dont need to feed them at all, as long as you have good lighting they will be fine. I have tons of them in my tank and I love them.

My suggestion.

QT tank. Make sure that the Zoos you purchase are kept in a QT tank. If you don't have a QT tank then at lease do a fresh watert dip of the zoo before you put it in the main tank. Do the dip and use some iodine if you want- also check for any nudibranch eggs.

Technically, anything you place in your tank can carry disease, parasites, etc. I also wouldnt recommend the FW dip. Too stressful.

A fresh water dip is not really using fresh water it is more of a hyposalinity dip. There is salt in the water but usually around .015 or a little less if I remember correctly. Fresh water dips are better for sick fish than corals though. I would do the iodine dip as Zoos tend to carry zoo eating nudis. The iodine dip makes almost all unfriendly and friendly critters come off the rock trying to get out. Bristle worms, nudis, bristle star fish, pods, etc come off the rock.

I have several different colors in my tank but the thing that you want to keep in mind is to use gloves when handling zoos. They are poisonous! It's called polytoxin (not sure on spelling) and it can really make you sick. The poison can also be realed in the water if it too close to another coral to kill it and make room so it can grow.

Dipping corals for the most part only deals with a small percentage of what may be carried in. More commonly flatworms and nudibrancs but it will do nothing against the eggs that are often laid on or at the base of the coral. Fish parasites are also impervious to such dips if encysted. Qting is the only way to ensure you do not trasition parasites into the main display.

Cheers
Steve

Honestly the FW dip is not a bad thing and is actualyl a good thing. Most people that are schooled in dealing with zoos will always use a QT tank and will typically dip their zoos in a FW with iodine solution. THe Iodine is not a requirment but helps.

Go check out some of the other boards out there if you don't beleive me. I had to actualyl use another board to get the best in formation on FW dips.

I had a nudi problem. They were eatign my zoos and they came in with my zoos. I don't have a qt tank and did not know abotu the FW dips. So I had to use the FW dip method to help rid my zoos of the nudis.

What you need to do is make sure the FW is at the same temperature and the same PH as the saltwater. But you do use FW. YOu put the zoo in there for about 2mins and you shake it and you can see the nudis just fall off and die. True that eggs don't fall off but you have to search for them or keep doing the dips. Zoos are quite hardy and I did abotu 6-7 dips and the zoos did fine.

Do what you will. I am jsut offering my opinion and what may others think is a good idea to rid a new coral of possiable hitchhickers. It does not work for everyhting but it will help with a bunch of stuff you would rather keep out of your tank.

jasno999 said:
What you need to do is make sure the FW is at the same temperature and the same PH as the saltwater. But you do use FW. YOu put the zoo in there for about 2mins and you shake it and you can see the nudis just fall off and die.

I agree with the temp and the PH but have never heard of using straight freshwater. Also I have never heard of keeping anything in a dip longer than a minute. But hey I haven't heard of a lot of things. If you don't mind starting a new topic and sicussing FW dips? Thanks

jasno999 said:
What you need to do is make sure the FW is at the same temperature and the same PH as the saltwater. But you do use FW. YOu put the zoo in there for about 2mins and you shake it and you can see the nudis just fall off and die.

I agree with the temp and the PH but have never heard of using straight freshwater. Also I have never heard of keeping anything in a dip longer than a minute. But hey I haven't heard of a lot of things. If you don't mind starting a new topic and discussing FW dips? Thanks

:soap: FW dips are effective in only a few cases (nudi's are one, not eggs). All it would do to a coral in "most, not all" cases is possibly kill it. Some corals can not tolerate it at all, zoos are one that can. It very seldom has benefits for fish as well. A salinity of 1.015 will also be useless because it is not low enough to kill anything.
What good is dipping a coral "6-7 times" going to do when you put it in the tank between the dip? How are you going to prevent whatever you are dipping for from coming off the rock or hatching between the dips? It is not rocket science. QT is the only way.

Go check out some of the other boards out there if you don't beleive me. I had to actualyl use another board to get the best in formation on FW dips.
If you look around long enough you can find anything on the net from a bad source. For example you can become a millionaire by investing in a offshore Nigerian bank scam. Want a link? Bubba's fishies R' us site is not a reputable source.
On top of that steve-s posted on the subject. If you do not know him let me sum it up for you. If it has to do with fish/coral sickness or parasites and he said it. IMO it is golden! Rant over, The End. Gobble Gobble :D

Come on Brenden. Just because you don't beleive me does nto make me wrong. May others use this method. May other swear by it. Look I never said it treats everyhting. I never said it should be used to cure every issue.

However zoos are strong corals that can take a lot of abuse and deal with things such as FW dips. And in many cases the FW dips are the only way to actually get rid of things like nudis.

1) I did the FW dips without a QT tank. I agree a QT tank gives you the most benifit cause you can always have some nudis and their egs in the main aquarium attached to the rock. And since you do nto dip that rock they live and will just search out the zoos after the dip is over and they are back in the main tank. This is why you have to do multiple dips.

I only have a 10 gallon tank so I never had or used a QT tank. But so far after all of my dips my zoos are looking a lot better. I have not seen any nudis on them (they were infested and were nto even opening the polyups before). I will keep an eye as tme goes on to see if any survived. and then I will start FW dips again.

2) Even with a QT tank if you have nudis then you still have to do the FW dip. The QT tank does nothing to get rid of the nudis it jsut prevents them from gettign into the main aquarium. So yes QT is ideal but yo ustill need the dips.

I don't want to get in trouble but here is a link to another board. I am sure most of you know this board. Point is this is a therad that talks all abotu zoos and the FW dip method. Read up so you can see I am nto the only one that beleives in and uses FW dips.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=451720

and

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=533167

I have never had any good results from FW dips. I know of several people that have not had good results. I read the post but still not convinced. If you had good results then you just did but IME it only brought death and stress to the fish or coral.

Hey we are all allowed to have out opinions. For some it may help and others it may not. But if you have a nudi problem I highly suggest this cause it worked for me and I had no harm to my coral.

It is better than lettign the nudis kill the entirel zoo colony.

jasno999 said:
Hey we are all allowed to have out opinions. For some it may help and others it may not. But if you have a nudi problem I highly suggest this cause it worked for me and I had no harm to my coral.

It is better than lettign the nudis kill the entirel zoo colony.
Jason, who's arguing with you about nudibranchs?

Both in my post and in Brenden's, acknowledge that FW dips to have a time and a place. No one has said that it should not be used in those circumstances.

Cheers
Steve

Sorry. :oops: My favorites are the my dragon eyes and pinks. I feed a mixture of oyster eggs and photo about every two weeks (only when fragging). This is not necessary but when fragging I found it helps them grow faster. Sorry I do not have a good pic and the lights are off.

Attachments

• dragon_frag_557.jpg
    dragon_frag_557.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 22
  • pink_frag2_741.jpg
    pink_frag2_741.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 21
Back
Top Bottom