Zoas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaineSalt

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought some zoas at the pet store and it had one little thing that look like a BTA and it's the same size as a Zoa. Sorry for the bad pics it's the best I could get. Any ideas what these are? Started with one and now I have two. There is also a few tiny red balls that appear to be clear. Sorta look like red clearish eggs.

Attachments

• image-3084715919.jpg
    image-3084715919.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 102
  • image-1021334564.jpg
    image-1021334564.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 134
  • image-1122077425.jpg
    image-1122077425.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 148
Another photo

Attachments

• image-125780641.jpg
    image-125780641.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 127
Those appear to be majano anemones..... google them.

If that's the case, they are as bad, if not worse, than aiptasia and need to be killed.

Ya that's them....weird part is the pet store was selling them. He had a rock covered in them and wanted $60 for it. Lol I saw this piece had one mixed in with the zoas and when I asked him he said it was fine. Ugh they just want to make money. Think I'm done doing business there.....third time I've bought something and it came with pests.

Think I'll try to remove some of the zoas and put them on another rock and trash that piece.

Thanks

OMG.... :facepalm:

Funny thing is, 30 years ago we'd purposely grow these & aiptasia in our FOWLRs..... it was the only thing we could get to grow. :lol: If you bought a coral or true anemone, it was pretty much a death sentence for them.

They fall off pretty easy if you set them over a bucket for a while there most likely to fall off. The zoas will close up and be fine or just hold it upside down till they should fall off

Are you saying daniel that the anemones will just fall off? I've tried so many different things to get rid of pest anemones and I really have my doubts if that would work or not. :)

Yeah i found 5 on a large rock I got from a friend. Put it in a bucket to wash it off,one was in the bucket. Then I put it in the tank and seen 4 more I just set it over a bucket and 10 min later they all fell off. Majorna kind thick base and stubby tentacles.

I don't believe coral rx is enough to kill pest nems, but it might be enough to make them move or let go of the rock they are attached to...never tried, just nuked with aiptasia-x.

Yes, majanos do look like palys when they're smaller, but they have a pretty distinctive look once you've seen a few. Most palys don't have tendrils that thick relative to their size.

Back
Top Bottom