Zoas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harryggumb

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking to purchase zoas and would like them to take over the rocks in my tank. Would my best bet be to buy a few colony rocks to start the process? If anyone can recommend a place to buy zoas I'd appreciate it. Right now I'm looking at liveaquria but would like to see what people think/recommend

if your looking for something to take over the rocks fairly fast I would start out with palys ,
I started out with 3 plugs 5 heads on each in my first tank it took 6 almost months for them to grow out 15 heads turned into almost 200 heads , as I expanded into bigger tanks the palys followed . I gave away tons over the years I had so many I decided to cut them back I have blue ones green ones brown ones spotted ones red ones . I finally went to the extreme and sold off 90% of the palys , I still have the original 3 plugs I started with , and they keep growing as fast as they get cut back , i finally got them under control
img_3365740_0_e529d5b0391e5438acf10cf4b3f58902.jpg

I wouldn't worry about colonies either. Get a frag of some and they'll take over with time. Make sure you really like them or you'll be stuck looking at a rock covered in something you can't stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well the problem is I have 2 plus 1 started with 5 heads and hasn't grown any more and the other started with 3 and is at 5 Head's right now. I purchased them about 4 months ago. I wasn't sure if that was normal or if they just aren't growing for a certain reason

They will grow at different rates. It always seems the more wanted or colorful the more rare they are due to being slower growers from simple supply and demand.
A big part of this is also alkalinity. Keep it stable. The more rare ones seem to be more sensitive to swings and they can simply melt away...where the common ones can survive a nuclear blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom