ZOEvit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have done extensive research on this system. While Zeovit does indeed do exactly what it claims I am still very leary of it. Zeovit is a zeolith based system and zeoliths are natural filtration using DE (Diatomaceous Earth) in a rock form to strip your water. These particular zeoliths used are essestially the same (slightly different) natural filtration used in the resins inside of our RO systems. So indeed it does strip your water of all the nasties including phosphates and the like, however it also strip your water of the good as well including calcium. This is why the systems insists you use heavy skimming and a calcium reactor in addition to the supplements you MUST add to maintain your system. In this aspect the filtration media fills quickly and must be changed every 6 weeks, and at $20 a liter gets expensive quickly. This system is also billed as a bacterial based system thought not entirely true. It does utilize a bacterial additive that assists in water purity. This is why you must churn the media almost daily to spread the bacteria throughout your system.

So again, yes the system works by creating a system of low nutrients more like a natural system. I have seen this in action and have used it in various test situations. However it is my conclusion and fears that it is a very finicky system that leans heavily on dedicated maintenence. My fear is that coral propogation facilities move to this system for better growth and coloration as it is easier to maintain in a larger system and in turn sell coral that are used to this low nutrient envorinment and shock badly when placed into home systems that are high in nutrients causing bad reactions in acclimation and even death to the coral.

I would recommend this system for say a home 180 Gallon that was SPS only. These systems are kind of weird in that softies will not make it and only the highest calcium demanding specimens thrive (SPS). There is also limited to no coraline growth at all. But indeed the coral are absolutley amazing. But don't frag it and put it in a non Zeovit system....

Again I have done a lot of research in this area because initially I was very interested in this technique and in my upcoming business I wanted to produce a similar system at half the cost. I have been successfull in finding the right media naturally mined in Colorado however I have not been able to replicate the additive balance.

SO, big SPS only tank with Ca Reactor, Neilson reactor, Huge Beckett skimmer, and tone o' flow, heck ya! Anything else, no friggin' way.

R-

Back
Top Bottom