Zoo Identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceblueconcepts

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there! I have a few rocks with zoanthids that have sprouted some tenacle like heads. Just curious if anyone knows what they are. They're kinda cute! Thanks!

Attachments

• dsc01455_472.jpg
    dsc01455_472.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 24
  • dsc01456_274.jpg
    dsc01456_274.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 24
They have the color of majano anemones with the appearance of being aiptaisia.. I don't know if there is such a thing as a green aiptaisia but if so that's what it appears like.

Joe's juice will kill them if it is indeed aiptasia.

The large one in the first photo I'm not so sure about but the rest may be yellow polyps. The yellow polyps are distinct from other zoos in that they have long and very skinny tentacles.

Thanks for the replies guys! I am familiar with aiptasia's as I have dealt with them before with the help of peppermint shrimp and a copper banded butterfly. I am almost 100% certain that these are not aiptasia's as they do not have a translucent stem, as most aiptasia's often do. I do think these are some form of zoo's.

Thanks for the insight on the zoo's, Fluff! I didn't like these guys at first, but they soon started to "grow" on me. I just wanted to get an idea of what they were!

I noticed! Haha! I bought a nice rock for the front of the tank to sit a few nice pieces of corals on and by morning there were already 3 heads of the "mystery zoos" sprouting on them! Luckily they look nice and aren't any trouble at all :)

I wouldn't go so far as to say they aren't any trouble. They are fine for now but they can be almost as bad as aptasia IMO. They will irritate other corals around them. I've had mine kill off xenya as well as done alot of damage to my toadstool leather. Keep an eye on them and remove as necessary. You can scrape them off the rock pretty easily. Good luck. :)

Yah, they are hardly any trouble at all. Luckily I have been able to remove them with no trouble around some of my corals. I'd much rather have these little guys around than Xenia. I've had trouble with it spreading like wildfire.

Back
Top Bottom