29 gallon chiclid tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, even with the stock I have, how about 4 females, but remember that they will be with 4 kuhli loaches and 3 julii Cory's, so I don't know if that many would work?
Thanks for the help identifying them, is there another way?

I think females you would have better luck with. I once had 4 in a 29 as well and there was slight aggression. I ended up taking some back to LFS because of the fact I did have cories and I didn't want to take the change of them being hurt, but then again I mainly had males too. Again I would just be sure wherever you get them from you can return them or have a backup plan incase aggression does happen.

Ok, well I only have kuhlis for now, would you suggest me to hold back on the cories and get the GBR's or just add everithing?

Ok, so I'm doing my stock, but holding off the cories until my kuhlis are given away, then I'm adding 4 GBR's

Ok, so I'm doing my stock, but holding off the cories until my kuhlis are given away, then I'm adding 4 GBR's

Just be sure to not over crowd the bottom with to many fish is the main thing. I would think if you can manage to get all female rams you will be ok. I think holding off on the cories until the kuhlis are gone is a good idea!

Yea, I checked with Aquadvisor and they recommended this stock
1 angelfish
1 dwarf gourami
3 German blue rams
5 neon tetras
2 balloon belly mollies
3 julii Cory's
3 otocinclus
1 bn pleco

Be very careful with the Rams. They can become territorial and kill off other fish. I had two females in mine and she killed 3 Neon Tetras and 4 Harlequin Rasboras and attempted to kill the other female.. However, my other female is a sweetheart and is just fine with all the other fish.
Also, getting (for example) 1 male and 2 females will result in one female being killed from the bonded pair.. Do research on these guys before you buy! :) good luck!

To be completely honest I would just get 2 and see how they do. Like I said, my females were not okay together (but mine is only a 29 gallon..) but you may have better luck. Adding 3 could cause a huge problem with the Angel Fish. The two Angels I had in the past were extremely territorial and would only share space during feeding times. So if you get 3 Rams who are territorial and 1 Angel Fish that is territorial you may have an absolute nightmare of a tank.. With my Ram I have a school of Neons and Harloquins with 2 Oto's. My Ram (before being forced into hiding by the other Ram) would actually swim around with my schools of fish -super pretty- and prefers being the biggest. Your Ram(s) may get too stressed out if you have a fish bigger than it and more aggressive. Rams in general are hard to keep so you really have to think along the lines of what they need and what will keep them happy. Like I said, research a ton before you buy.

Ok, so what is some really important, or just info that I need to know? Probably the biggest fish is my angel, and his body is about the size of a dime

The first few days with a Ram will be challenging. Not only will you have to coax it to eat (oh and of course they are too picky to eat flakes and pellets. They want live brine shrimp! I was able to get mine to eat freeze dried though..) you must have the ph, temperature, and etc. exactly to their liking. Ph and temperature in my tank ALWAYS needs to be the same for my Ram. Ph is between 6-7 and my temperature varies from 79-82 F. Make sure your tank is fully cycled and you test every day. Rams can't even handle nitrates at any level. I do a 30% water change weekly and test every night. It is a lot of work but honestly I would rather be safe than sorry. You need tons of plants and tons of hiding spots (and I mean a ton.. Mine has 4 by herself). If they can't hide or feel safe they will die from stress. Most Rams like open water in one area and a hiding place with plants in another. With several Rams that means several different places separated from each other. You need to learn how to sex them. Pretty easy. Google the pictures between the male and female and it is that simple. Don't listen to the LFS when it comes to sexing them. Study the pictures and get familiar with the male and females. Any questions on Rams??
As for the Angel Fish, it will get bigger.. And much bigger than a Ram. I couldn't have any fish with my Angels unfortunately. They kept killing everything and went at it with each other if they got into one of the others territories. Again, you may have better luck with just one. I stopped with Angels after the two I had.

My favorite tank will always be my swordtails.. :)

Why do u have so many threads that are the same ?? Do u have like 10 tanks.. How is this a cichlid tAnk I'm confused

Sorry not trying to be rude just confused as to why so many threads! And stocking questions !

Back
Top Bottom