75G tank.... Decisions decisioins!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmurray17

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

So I have a 4ft 75G tank eagerly waiting for some fish!
I have a fine Black substrate and will be decorating the tank with mostly rock formations and also some long driftwood pieces. Will hopefully have some plants, if my chosen cichlids don't pull them all out!

Question is, I am torn between two stocking lists and just wondered what the preferences, experiences were with either way...

Option 1

Black Ghost Knife (already have him, moving from smaller tank)
2 or 3 Catfish -either Pictus or Featherfin (again...undecided)

Johanni (2M 4 F?)
Red jewel (3?)

...would I be fully stocked with that and will they go well together?

Option 2

BGK
Pictus/ Featherfin

Gold Saum Rivulatus (Green Terror)
Green severum
Gold Severum

And any other new world cichlids that won't overstocked me...don't know numbers for this option yet.

I know, very vague but just too hard to narrow down and I keep finding more fish!

Thanks x

I currently have a 75 stocked with 4 convicts a blood parrot and a jack Dempsey.....you could do any number of new worlds which in my opinion are better then Africans you do do a fire mouth with the green terror or a jack Dempsey you could go with a few convicts all male or all female so they don't breed you could do a red terror or a salvinni with the green terror there are lots of options and in my opinion new world are much prettier then old world let me know any questions you may have good thing about new world cichlids is they have basically same water parameters as tropical they don't need high ph and salts like Africans

I'd either do a lake mawali setup or a jd pair?(someone chime in on tank size) or a Oscar and rainbow shark, or discus tank.

Discus are beautiful but expensive and they like soft low ph water.....jack pair might be ok in a 75 but if you get male and female they may kill anything else when they breed

Thanks guys :D my favourite fish for a while has been the teen terror, I don't know much about the JD but know of a few people who keep those two together?

I did like the Africans for their colours and because of their size you can have several.

If I was to do
1 Green Terror
1 green severum
1 gold (or turquoise if I can find one )
Possibly 1 jack Dempsey?
1 BGK
2 Pictus/ Featherfin

Are there any smaller new worlds or dwarf cichlids / schooling tropicals that would survive with these?

Thank you so much for the help s far

Edit: I realise that stocking is way too much for a 75....just need to somehow narrow it down haha

Not with a jack or green terror trops and dwarfs may work with severum cuz they are less aggressive but dwarf cichlids have same mild manor as tropical

Thanks guys :D my favourite fish for a while has been the teen terror, I don't know much about the JD but know of a few people who keep those two together?

I did like the Africans for their colours and because of their size you can have several.

If I was to do
1 Green Terror
1 green severum
1 gold (or turquoise if I can find one )
Possibly 1 jack Dempsey?
1 BGK
2 Pictus/ Featherfin

Are there any smaller new worlds or dwarf cichlids / schooling tropicals that would survive with these?

Thank you so much for the help s far

Edit: I realise that stocking is way too much for a 75....just need to somehow narrow it down haha

I have a Green Terror and a Jack Dempsey in a 63 gallon tank. Had them for 4 months now from juveniles. The JD is growing a lot quicker than the GT. GT has hardly grown in that time. The JD is quite aggressive and chases the GT from time to time. They did fight all day once and the GT had his assed kicked big time so doesn't bother anymore. They will swim together too but every now and then the JD will become aggressive and always during feeding time.
Once the GT has grown though I think the JD will think twice about it. They are both males btw.
Both awesome fish though. Wanted them for ages.

image-1470789182.jpg

Well here is the tank so far, filter had been running for 24 hours.

Still need to purchase lights and all decor to put into it.

The more I search for cichlids the more combinations I try and put together. Still very keen on the GT so now looking for some slightly smaller cichlids to put in the mix. As much as I would live severums and a GT I feel it will be too many big fish for the tank.

Convicts?
Fire mouths?
Ellioti?

The list just keeps growing....

I have a Green Terror and a Jack Dempsey in a 63 gallon tank. Had them for 4 months now from juveniles. The JD is growing a lot quicker than the GT. GT has hardly grown in that time. The JD is quite aggressive and chases the GT from time to time. They did fight all day once and the GT had his assed kicked big time so doesn't bother anymore. They will swim together too but every now and then the JD will become aggressive and always during feeding time.
Once the GT has grown though I think the JD will think twice about it. They are both males btw.
Both awesome fish though. Wanted them for ages.

And thanks heaps for your help :) although it just makes the decision of narrowing down even harder. Haha

I have an 54g mbuna tank and then a 76 halfround with new worlds. Just added a gold severum to the 76 a week ago and am soooo glad I did! It could be a good addition for what you have going.

I have an 54g mbuna tank and then a 76 halfround with new worlds. Just added a gold severum to the 76 a week ago and am soooo glad I did! It could be a good addition for what you have going.

Ahhhh no ....and I was starting to steer away from the severums haha. Yeah I've heard really good things about them which is why I was interested in the first place...

Do you have just the one severum?

Maybe 1 GT
1 severum
1 BGK
2 Pictus/ Featherfin
A small school of giant danios

Any room fir a small- middle size cichlid?
A couple of fire mouths?

I know...I know....pushing the stocking limits...

I Need more tanks!!! Haha

This is my first severum. I had an unusual tank mix in the 76 with a jack and a livingstonii and a pleco. Really couldn't seperate them but wanted something else to add. Came across this gold severum last weekend and he has introduced well. Initially some aggression from the Jack but now doing very well.

Attachments

• image-3671640200.jpg
    image-3671640200.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 76
  • image-567331494.jpg
    image-567331494.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 100
  • image-2281636325.jpg
    image-2281636325.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 66
  • image-2277507020.jpg
    image-2277507020.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 67
This is my first severum. I had an unusual tank mix in the 76 with a jack and a livingstonii and a pleco. Really couldn't seperate them but wanted something else to add. Came across this gold severum last weekend and he has introduced well. Initially some aggression from the Jack but now doing very well.

Love your tank and you have some beautifully coloured fish!
Well will def keep that in mind, hopefully in the final stocking list I'll have a severum in there :)

Convicts will do well as long as you get same sex so no spawning aggression and I've heard people keeping JD w GT but idk how they'd do in only a 75 you could always give it a shot also electric blue JD are much milder and firemouths are pretty mild too

Convicts will do well as long as you get same sex so no spawning aggression and I've heard people keeping JD w GT but idk how they'd do in only a 75 you could always give it a shot also electric blue JD are much milder and firemouths are pretty mild too

Yeah came across the electric blue JD when researching the normal JD. I think between the definite GT and a possible severum, I already have the big fish for the tank so need to find some smaller cichlids. as I would prefer not to have a big tank with only 3 fish...

Thanks for all your help so far :)!

Back
Top Bottom