90 gal oscar/silver dollar question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidthinker

Aquarium Advice Freak
Its the juwel rio 300 (121 x 51 x 66 cm)
And i think i want an oscar but could they be with silver dollars peacefully ? And how many silver dollars do you reccomend ?

Here is another stocking idea which i want , all males :

1x green terror
1x severum
1x convict
1x firemouth
?x silver dollars?

Well Silver Dollars need to school. I would say with just an Oscar as a companion you could do maybe 5-6 Silver Dollars?

And you second selection would be nice but the Severum would probably get torn up by the Green Terror, which is a really aggressive fish. You could maybe take out either the Severum or Green Terror and do a breeding pair of Firemouths instead of just 1, and still have the convict. I would add some Giant Danios to that as well, unless you want area-specific.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Well Silver Dollars need to school. I would say with just an Oscar as a companion you could do maybe 5-6 Silver Dollars?

And you second selection would be nice but the Severum would probably get torn up by the Green Terror, which is a really aggressive fish. You could maybe take out either the Severum or Green Terror and do a breeding pair of Firemouths instead of just 1, and still have the convict. I would add some Giant Danios to that as well, unless you want area-specific.

Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

1x green terror
1x salvini
1x convict
1x jewel cichlid
1x firemouth

Could this work ?

1x green terror
1x salvini
1x convict
1x jewel cichlid
1x firemouth

Could this work ?

Well, there are 2 things i would worry about;
-the fact that Salvini are very aggresive, and will probably kill the Firemouth, because its pretty passive
Convict and Jewel should be alright.
-The other is the difference in growth rate of these fish. Green terror grow very slow, convicts pretty fast, Firemouth grow slow, and the rest grow at a medium pace. If you buy them at the same size the Convict will outgrow them and cause problems.

Also, a school of giant danios would probably be a good addition

Jewel cichlid is African; not sure if you knew.

Your bioload should be fine.

I will give 2 examples of fish i would keep in a 90, bear in mind im a fan of over-stocking. Also, these are not from a specific area.

LIST ONE
-2 Blue Acara (looks similar to GT)
-Gold Severum
-12 Giant Danios
-12 Panda Cories
-2 Firemouths

LIST TWO
-Green Terror (bought at 5"+ in size)
-1 Pair Convicts
-Salvini
-Nicaragua Cichlid
-8 Giant Danios

I will give 2 examples of fish i would keep in a 90, bear in mind im a fan of over-stocking. Also, these are not from a specific area.

LIST ONE
-2 Blue Acara (looks similar to GT)
-Gold Severum
-12 Giant Danios
-12 Panda Cories
-2 Firemouths

LIST TWO
-Green Terror (bought at 5"+ in size)
-1 Pair Convicts
-Salvini
-Nicaragua Cichlid
-8 Giant Danios

Both lists could be trouble. Acaras are rough on fire mouths as I've learned recently.

List two, a pair of convicts beg for trouble and if the salvini is larger it could hit the fan.

Well as you guys can see what i want to do with the tank, i want around 5-6 medium sized cichlids , and ever since i saw the green terror i have wanted one , i only want the convict simply because i already have it and its pretty big so i see that wouldnt work out i would think (could just buy a new one but smaller) but a green terror is 90% a must , could you guys give me more ideas what medium sized cichlids can be with green terror ? Im not a big fan of shoaling fishes (giant danio) , my oscar stocking idea is thrown out the window btw

Both lists could be trouble. Acaras are rough on fire mouths as I've learned recently.

List two, a pair of convicts beg for trouble and if the salvini is larger it could hit the fan.

I agree 100%.

Why not go with two terrors and the convict? That would be about right for 90 gallons.

Last edited:
Hmmm... The Acara seem pretty laid back in my eyes...

Well, if you can buy a Green Terror that is the size of the convict or larger, that will be helpful. The GT differ from most SA/CA cichlids in that they take a few (2-4) years to reach full length, and most take about 1-2 years.

If youre set on a GT, i would say:

-1 Green Terror
-1 Convict
-1 Firemouth (may hybridize with Convict)
-1 Salvini (buy at a small size)
-1 Syno (they do a great job cleaning up)

I don't agree about the Blue Acara. Ive seen them housed together before, and I've not done these two before but Acara seem pretty mild to me.

Also, a pair of Convicts should be ok in this tank. As long as their breeding area is in one side of the tank, and the Salvini has its area in the other side, it should be ok. The Green Terror will just do what he wants when he is bigger, and he can handle the Convicts. The Green Terror (when larger) will control the tank and shouldn't feel he is threatened by the smaller fish around him. If he is one of the "rouges", then it may have an issue.

I don't agree about the Blue Acara. Ive seen them housed together before, and I've not done these two before but Acara seem pretty mild to me.

Also, a pair of Convicts should be ok in this tank. As long as their breeding area is in one side of the tank, and the Salvini has its area in the other side, it should be ok. The Green Terror will just do what he wants when he is bigger, and he can handle the Convicts. The Green Terror (when larger) will control the tank and shouldn't feel he is threatened by the smaller fish around him. If he is one of the "rouges", then it may have an issue.

See my video in TMRC thread. My blue acara beat my firemouth.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Edit: I answered this while being annoyed dealing with something at work and it came off that way. Just gonna bow out. I gave you my opinion.

Edit: I answered this while being annoyed dealing with something at work and it came off that way. Just gonna bow out. I gave you my opinion.

Its all good!

Well, i guess i wasn't speaking from experience, so you may be right. Maybe in the future i will keep these 2 specie together in a controlled environment, but for now i will say that you're right. Thanks for not being a jerk though, I've had other people do that.

Its all good!

Well, i guess i wasn't speaking from experience, so you may be right. Maybe in the future i will keep these 2 specie together in a controlled environment, but for now i will say that you're right. Thanks for not being a jerk though, I've had other people do that.

No problem.

For the most part you are going to have to do trial and error to get a group to live some what peacefully in a 47 x 20 foot print. One thing I will say is stay away from the salvini in a community setting. They will shred fish twice their size over night. At best I would do the Andinoacara rivulatus as the center piece with your existing Archocentrus nigrofasciatus (maybe add a 2nd of the same sex) and a large school of either Hemigrammus caudovittatus or Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis and call it stocked.

Alright i will take your guys advise on getting a bigger green terror to start with and throwing the salvini our the window , do synos need to be in school ?i might get a couple of them , so .... Green terror , convict , firemouth , couple of synos ... Something of the same size but maybe blue ? Need more ideas forgive me hah

Syno catfish do not need to school, but i like the look of having 2-3 because then you can see them more often. The most common on you will see often goes by the name of "Featherfin Catfish" and this is the one i have.

Also if you're wanting something blue in color that is difficult IMO... It is hard to find SA/CA cichlid that are decently blue... Blue Texas are good but they wont work in your tank.

Also, you could do the Con, GT, FM, Syno, and about 4-5 Silver Dollars or a dozen Giant Danio. The Danios are good at adding movement and color.

Back
Top Bottom