Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prettyvacant

Aquarium Advice Activist
On the weekend, I bought a baby marble angelfish and he seemed fine that night. But now he seems to be staying up in the corner where the heater is. Does this mean something?

what are your water parameters? (nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, etc.)

Also, how did you acclimate him? It could be shock.

What other tank mates are in with it? Could it be getting picked on?

HTH

Your water may be fine, and the water at the LFS may be fine, but if they are somewhat different, say you have more or less nitrate in the tank than where the fish came from or the pH is different, the fish can be "shocked" into illness from the different water. A slow acclimation period is usually very helpful to avoid any difficulties related to that.

ok well today it seems that he is moving around much more so i assume hes ok now..... and im sorry lol but by acclimate do you mean like how did i get it used to the water? lol :?: im pretty new to all this so thanx a lot for the help...

Yes, pretty. Acclimating is basically how the fish is introduced to the tank water. The generic rule is letting the temps balance out...but in some cases (ie: if the water conditions from your tank are very different from those of the LFS), then a slower accimations is required.

Why I (and TG) thought shock, was because your fish seemed almost like the new tank "shocked" him. He wasn't moving, breathing heavy perhaps, just hiding and being listless. It's good that he is swimming around more now, but still keep an eye out for illness that could be bought on by stress.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom