Are you experienced w/Angel fish? Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyberkat

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone,
I have a 40 g breeder set up with 2-Angels, 4-Mollies, 2-Danio's and 6-Kuhli's; would like to add 1 or possibly 2 (different) pair of SA dwarf Cichlids soon as well. Currently I am having Angel issues that I need some help with please!!
First off, is there any way to tell the difference between male and female adult/Juvie Angels? I'm asking because for the past couple of wk's now my guys have been doing some fighting off and on. First I only noticed it at night and now I am seeing some during the day as well. Does not look serious, for the most part they tend to stay with each other and on the same side of the tank but once I saw that they had a "lip lock" going briefly. My Angels are approx 3" or slightly more from tip of mouth to tip of end of tail. Am I seeing fighting or are these two just getting sexually mature and I'm seeing the beginnings of a mating ritual or maybe some type of territory issue (even though they usually stay near each other)?? I had thought my size tank would hold 2 Angels comfortably but I'm not so sure any longer!

It is reay difficult to sex angels as juvis.

Yeah i have had angels do this. Continued for several weeks, but eventually they both got over it and stopped:)

If they are both male, however, they will try to kill eachother. Moniter them closely

Just remembered one other thing worth mentioning: a couple of weeks ago I re-did my aqua scape. At this time I added a square (plastic) low growing type of plant mat in one corner of the aquarium. Since that time the Angels tend to stay in that area a lot. Before they would have a couple different area's in the tank where they would hang around but now it's mostly around that plant mat.

Then they might be re-establishiing territories. I'm new to angels - just got two quarter sized juvies - but its a thought. Good luck

Sounds like you have a couple of females. The fighting will decrease as one establishes dominance. I'd say to get about two more and get a pair and remove the rest. That way you still have two and they will live happily ever after. Maybe:)

Two females, interesting for some reason I've been thinking two males or one of each. For some reason I never thought of two females. :) But maybe so, my tank has gotten strange lately. My Angels are fighting off and on, my biggest female Molly will sometimes go after the slightly larger Angel and keeps the male Molly in his place, then yesterday I go and get several Guppies for I can have some top level swimmers and they are having a bit of a time because the bigger Molly and one of the Angels chase them, so they stay swimming in a dense planted area (I'm thinking this will stop after another day or so, once everyone is used to each other!), oh and lets not forget my two Danio's who I got for the top level but swim all over and seem to prefer swimming amongst the plants! :nono: :)

Back
Top Bottom