Bolivian Ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henry1245

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All,

Are Blue Rams ok to keep in a community on their own? many sites online say they should be kept in a minimum of a pair... (a pair would be pushing my stock to the limit)

Will they be agressive on their own with Mollies & Platies?

Thanks
H.

I have kept blue rams singly, they did just fine. I currently have a lone male in a 36 gallon community, he seems to be happy and healthy.

Ha, Yes fishman! Was thinking of Bolivian rams, I heard blue rams are hard to keep (my tank is less than 2 months old) how do Bolivian rams get on singularly?

Bolivians will do fine by themselves, but I would suggest getting a balloon ram...I have two and they are awesome!

was your balloon ram expensive? i went to a store and they were selling the little ones that were about a size of a nickel for two for 44 and the bigger ones for two for 85!

Ok... not trying to be rude here, but I would not suggest buying any balloon bodied fish, ever. They are produced by selectively breeding short bodied fish together to exaggerate and perpetuate this deformity. They often don't live as long, don't swim as well as their normal bodied counterparts, and may be outcompeted for food. Essentially, nature would have "culled" these fish, but they can survive within the confines of aquaria.

I have to agree with SM.

I have huge issues with selectively engineered fish like balloons, glo-fish and tattooed or painted fish.

But a lone ram, be it german blue, gold or bolivian would be fine.

Bolivan Rams at the LFS

The Bolivians I plan on getting are finally at the LFS but, they're all white, like in the end of this page.

Breeding Mikrogeophagus altispinosa pt1

Would they become more colorful, such as the ones above in the site, if they're kept in better conditions?

Mine were pretty pale when i bought them, within a week or so of varied foods etc, they've coloured up nicley already...

my female gold ram was pretty pale when i first got her and i fed her NLS cichilid formula and she is as orange as the male.

Back
Top Bottom