Bubba643 180 gallon freshwater planted build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I couldn't find any at lowes today when I was there. Maybe I can find some online somewhere. Do you think your it is a 5 gal or 3 gal pot? It's the perfect size for what I'm trying to do. If nothing else, I have some slate rock I could use for my build the neighbor generously gave me. I have everything else except for the rock at this point.

And I agree on the swim area but I think if I can get it to break in half I will have the perfect set up for my tank. I'm starting on the sand/substrate tomorrow. I will update with pics.

Mines a 5 gallon it looks like, I haven't tried it on its side yet either maybe that will work.

Mines a 5 gallon it looks like, I haven't tried it on its side yet either maybe that will work.

I think on its side will give you more swimming room on the top but take up more room long ways. I wonder if you could bury in your sand/substrate a little bit will give you more room and the cave effect.

I found them at a different Lowes today. Now to cut them down with a drimmel and cutting disk. Thanks AutumnSky! This should be fun and make a mess! Haha. I will post some pics once I get them cut and cleaned up.

They were in my backyard from previous owner but I saw some at lowes last time I was there. I like the cave idea, not sure if I'll leave mine in or not. Cutting in half might work, the fish love it, but it takes up a lot of swim area

IMG_0223.jpg

Well here is my first go at the rock cave idea with the slate rock. I found some smaller pots that I could build around.

Not bad, what are you using to secure rocks? Or is it a natural resting cave?

I am using a clear waterproof Silicone. I let it sit overnight. I will check it today and make sure it's secure before I put it in the tank. That's the small one. I have another one to build with 2 pots I cut and connected together. I think I might leave the ends open for easier access in and out and to see what they are doing inside the "cave".

Nice here's an updated pic of my tank currently. I took out the strawberry planted for now, I like the left side with the Anubias tied to the manzanita. Thinking I'll build the main feature in the back 2/3 on right, outward. Suggestions? I have two more awesome looking two tone manzanita pieces and was thinking rock pile/driftwood with attachable plants for the main decor. I want to leave at least 3/4 of the sand area on the bottom bare for the geo sifting party of five. Jbar, might be a nice place for a big ole Jbar rock/driftwood cave I think...

Attachments

• IMG_1570.JPG
    IMG_1570.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 44
I think that would look awesome especially once you get the driftwood and rocks going over there. I like the real plants but I have no experience with them. Wouldn't know where to start and Mbuna will more than likely shred them to pieces. I was thinking after my caves of building a bridge over my "white river bottom" but haven't decided yet or attach plants to the river rocks along it. Can't make up my mind! Haha

The plants I have are all low tech low light. I've never had live plants either and so far my large SA cichlids haven't bothered them and the mars 165w lights are way more than needed for them.

IMG_0227.jpg
Well I built the other rock cave today. Not sure how I feel about it yet. I think it needs something. What do you guys think? Plants? I didn't silicon this one.

View attachment 298294
Well I built the other rock cave today. Not sure how I feel about it yet. I think it needs something. What do you guys think? Plants? I didn't silicon this one.

Idk about the look you prefer but I bet those mbuna will think they've died and gone to heaven in there. I know you're iffy about live plants but some fishing line and anubias tied here and there around the sides and top would look awesome. You've got plenty of light for them and they are hearty and beginner plants too.

Idk about the look you prefer but I bet those mbuna will think they've died and gone to heaven in there. I know you're iffy about live plants but some fishing line and anubias tied here and there around the sides and top would look awesome. You've got plenty of light for them and they are hearty and beginner plants too.

I think I will have to look into it. It should make everything in the tank pop and not look like a bunch of rocks just stacked together.

I like the look of it just not to sure on that big cave yet. Haha. Do you think the big cave is to much? Should I rebuild and make smaller?

Back
Top Bottom