Bullying!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hertsboy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help! I have a freshwater aquarium stocked with 5 fish. Two of the fish are picking on a red & gold fantail.

Whats happening? And what can I do?

Please help, it looks quite distressing!! :?

Is it a coldwater tank? How big is the tank? Are all of the fish goldfishes? How big are they? Answers to these questions might help someone here helo you :).

I can't speak to the specifics of your situation, but I have been able to alter excessive bullying by putting the offender in solitary, in the same tank, but in a clear breeding trap. This works especially well for tiger barbs. If your fish are all appropriate for your tank and a similar technique does not work for you, you should put them in separate tanks. If you don't want another tank :?: , try a tank divider.

You can try rearranging the ornaments and plants before you turn the lights off at night. This will move all their territories and change the pecking order.

This sounds familiar... when it happened to me with platies, I tried adding more hiding spaces, plants, females, tried the isolation thing, took one out and re-introduced him... I eventually sold him back to the LFS.

How big is the tank and what are all of the fish? If the tank is too small then you might not be able to do anything except remove some fish.

Back
Top Bottom