Can anyone identify this cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

r2h2o

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We adopted this cichlid today. It's about 4" long. Although it looks blue in this picture, it is mostly white with yellow and black markings. There is a little blue/dark purple on the upper back.

The previous owners said it was an African male, and that is was extremely aggressive towards their smaller fish.

We have it in a 37 gallon tank with an African Electric Blue male (of the same size) and they seem to be doing quite well together thus far.

If anyone can identify the species and/or the sex that would be fantastic. We definitely don't want them to butt heads in there!

Thanks.

Attachments

• adopted.jpg
    adopted.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 66
Hi r2h2o.
Your new fish is definately an African Lake Malawi Cichlid, I cant see the picture to good but i would take a guess at Pseudotropheus. As for the sex of the fish you could check it anal fin for egg spots, i cant see the picture to clear but i cant see any spots on the fin so that would possibly indicate a female. That is one way to check as males usually have spots on there anal fin. I hope i am of some help but like i say i can't see the picture to well.

Back
Top Bottom