Can anyone identify this Ram?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

177ichael

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all,

I just picked up a pair of "German Rams" from my LFS. The owner said that these two Rams will eventually develop the same coloration that the two larger rams in his show tank had. The two Rams he had in his show tank were very bright with color on the tips of the dorsal fins and various other patches of color throughout the body and head.

Does anyone recognize what type of Ram this is? Do younger Rams typically develop color as they mature?

Thanks!

4455IMG_0102.JPG

Look like Blue Rams to me. German Rams are just a strain of Blue Rams that are thought to be of higher quality than those bred in the Far East.

Yep, definitely Blue German Rams (microgeophagus ramirezi). They do get more colorful as they get older, particularly if you are fortunate enough to have a M/F pair. Their spawning color is incredible!

Good luck with your rams! :D

Thanks for the confirmation on the Blue Rams! The owner thought that these two were most likely female, but could not say for certain because they are young. He mentioned that the females are harder to find in general. I plan on possibly setting up a breeding tank for Rams and giving it a go in the near future. I'm hoping to find a male if these two turn out to be female.

Thanks again!

look like blue rams to me too... look for pink on the belly, that usually indicates a female in all the blue rams i've ever had. given good conditions and a little time, they'll color up rather nicely

This Ram is probably little older than yours, you can see the color starting to increase and the black spreads:

ram.jpg

In the end you want something like this (not mine):

Jeff_blue_ram_lg.jpg

I find my rams 'drop' their color when stressed. When I added 4 rummy nosed tetra as dither fish, my rams were twice as colorful within 48 hours. I really like these fish.

Back
Top Bottom