Discus discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CJ29DJ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm very interested in setting up a tank with two discus and having them breed. I know that when discus breed that they will have a sort of slime on them that attracts most other fish and the other fish can harm them when they have that coat of slime on them. I was wondering which type of fish can be with breeder discus. Shrimp? Snails? Other Cichlids? Any related information or tips to discus is also helpful and appreciated.

I am in the process of learning much more about Discus. So I will be following along too.

They like higher water temps and I know Cardinals are often tankmates with them. Careful selection of plants is required as certain plants do not do well in higher water temps.

They require extremely clean water, with pwc on daily to every other day basis. Which atm is why I won't be having them in the immediate future. Like fresh, live foods too. They are a lot of work from what I have been finding out!

If your keeping a pair to breed I would leave them in the tank alone.

What's the smallest size of tank two breeding discus can share? I'm planning on keeping some of the offspring in a bigger tank with a community once they mature

I have read that they like a low ph also, unlike some other cichlids. That would be a propblem for me (my water is high ph out of the tap)

you dont want any other fish in the tank with a breeding pair. but if your buying young discus they dont sexually mature until they are 2 years old . and they will only breed if the 2 discus you buy have paired up . unless you buy a proven breeding pair . discus aint easy to breed unless you have experiance. especially when you have the fry to look after as they are very sensitive to the water qualiity and so on ..

hope i helped you out in some way

Back
Top Bottom